pt-425 will not move forward or reverse

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #31  
Ports behind the valve plate which allow high pressure fluid in and out of a closed center axial piston pump. They are shaped like a kidney, thus their name.
EB

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #32  
Most hydraulic components require a 15 hr + break in period, after that they function much more efficent. This could happen in your case.
EB

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #33  
I really think you should send them the machine and make them fix it - they can't just deliver a machine that does not work - I don't care what their paperwork or policy says.

You should send it back and tell them you don't want it back until it is fixed

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse
I live near near Cleveland,Ohio.

I have not seen any leaks. Terry also had me remove the two hoses from the tram pump and check the fittings to make certain they were not plugged. They were not.

I discovered a HUGE !!! safety issue with my PT-425 in regards to the issue i am having with the forward and reverse motion or should i say, lack there of ? When the machine has little or no forward or reverse motion YOU HAVE NO BRAKE !!!
My shop has an incline approach to the door. As I was backing the machine out of the garage, (remember i have a very slow or no response tram pedal) the PT started to roll and i could not contol the speed. The brake does not work and stepping on the forward peddle has no response. So basically you are going along for the ride. How nice this would be unloading from a truck or trailer.
I called pt on Friday, they are convinced that it may still be a plugged filter. He wants me to try a NAPA filter.
I hope it is that simple. I really like the machine, it does great
work. It was exactly what i was looking for at my bussiness.

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #37  
I noticed the very same thing when my tractor had virtually no power. I rolled down a slight inclline, gaining speed, and had no way to stop. The parking brake is virtually useless because it is so difficult to engage. I have to use a length of pipe as a lever, and that is hardly a feasible maneuver when one is merrily accelerating downhill. I consider this to be a serious, potentially lethal design flaw, and one that PT could easily fix (I told Terry how!) Has anyone solved this problem?

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #38  
This (lack of) brake issue is a serious one. I (and others) have brought it up at various times in the past. At the PT level, it is not a technical issue, but rather a cost issue.

All models from the 1445 and above do have either internal wet spring-applied/hyd pressure release or external dry Brake Tender that basicaly operates in a fail-safe manner.

In my opinion, they should equip all the smaller models with the internal wet brakes (or at the very least, offer it as an option) for the very reasons you and others have mentioned.

As I was looking specifically for a machine suited for work on very steep terrain, brakes were a primary consideration, and the Brake Tender system on the 1845 works well indeed.

A good hyd shop can replace the wheel motors ( all or at least 2) on the other models with ones with integral wet disk brakes, but it will not be cheap. On the other hand, it would be only a nominal cost at the factory level to equip them this way or offer it as an option.

I fully agree that this is a serious safety issue, and one that PT has chosen to ignore due to cost considerations. How to get them to change, I do not know. This issue has been raised numerous times before to no avail. Hopefully it won't take a serious injury or death to wake them up.

Talk to a good hydraulic shop for an estimate on upgrading your particular unit. It should not be hard to do, but may involve some modification or customization. It also may widen the wheel track somewhat, which could be a problem for some or a boon to others due to increased side-hill stability.

Good Luck whatever you do...

Rip

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #39  
Read my post # 462047. 7/14/04 06:08 This could be a manual or electric shut off valve.

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #40  
Hey J_J

<font color="red"> Read my post # 462047. 7/14/04 06:08 This could be a manual or electric shut off valve. </font>

Could you tell me how to find your post? I tried a search but only get your post to look at that post. Theres gotta be a way to find a specific post and I bet you know how /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TIA