Dumb questions about the brush cutter

/ Dumb questions about the brush cutter #1  

dturnmire

Bronze Member
Tractor
Pt-180
Before I got my PT-180 I had never used a farm tractor or brush hog. Most of my 3 1/2 acres is overgrown and I really wanted something that was heavy duty that could handle small saplings overgrown thorns etc. So far my 45" brush cutter has done a dandy job as well as cutting my grass.

My neighbor calls the hinged blades a "stump jumper" and tells me they are pretty tough. Could anyone here that is experienced in such matters compare the brush cutters Power Trac makes to other brands? Would they be considered heavy duty, medium duty or what?

Also it seems all the brush cutter is is a big flywheel with a couple of blades attached. I have been as careful as possible and take my time when cutting rough areas so as not to overwork the cutter but how effective is the "stump jumper" when it comes protecting it from damage by hitting something to big or hard to cut?

Since it has its own motor any damage that could be done would be to the cutter itself and not the tractor right? The brush cutter only has one grease zerk doesn't it? Thanks in advance.

/ Dumb questions about the brush cutter
Thanks for the link!