Wood splitter

/ Wood splitter #1  

stray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power-trac 422 2003 model and 428 January 2015 model
I have been building a wood splitter and I am 90 percent done with it. I have a few modifications to make to perfect it. Is anyone interested in building a wood splitter that hooks up to a PT. ON the model i am building you don't have to get off the tractor to use it.

I have not heard anyone talk about wood splitters on this forum and i just don't understand why. May be no one burns wood. Power trac really should build and sale one.

/ Wood splitter #3  
I'm interested. Tell us more!

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wood splitter #4  
I enjoy the excercise my splitting maul provides! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Wood splitter
I too enjoy using a maul. I started using one after my dad sold his wood splitter. He was thinking it would still be around to use but the person he sold it to loaned it to his son and gone it went.
After getting my 422 and with the hydraulics already there I just couldn’t resist building one. To use this one, just drive up to it, hook up the quick attach, attach the valve to the tractor, hook up the 2 quick disconnects, get back on the tractor and flip on the PTO. Hooking up should take less than 2 minutes. I can’t give you a cost because most of the stuff I used I already had or some one gave to me. I will have about $180 in the valve, hoses and fittings bought at Northern Hydraulics.

/ Wood splitter #6  
love the idea , i have a mom and dad who is needing wood split yearly and guess whos the favorite son that time of year lol . well im not into the maul and sledge thing. lil more work than i care for but i would love to see some pics of the wood splitter on the pt as id have to get one or build one

/ Wood splitter
As soon as I use it enough to tell about the things I might have done different or change if I were to build another I'll post some comments and pics. I will design the controls so they can mount either on the tractor or the splitter. I don't know yet if I would want to turn the splitter right side up or upside down or if it should be bolted on so it can be changed either way. As of now I have it on upside down so it can be laid across the piece of wood to be split as well as carry and lift a cut of wood or even a log. Picking up and splitting cuts of wood or lifting and carrying logs without getting off the tractor appeals to me. If one leaves the splitter upside down you would not need to be able to mount the controls on the splitter as operating the splitter from the seat would be necessary.

/ Wood splitter #8  
I have been using this 3 pt hyd log splitter from Northern Tools for about 10 years. It could be adapted to fit the PT .

Attachments

• 488033-1102_lg.jpg
    488033-1102_lg.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,269
   / Wood splitter #9  
Curious here. you started by saying 90% done and later said you haven't designed the controls yet, or decided splitting from above or below, or vertical? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Over the years there has been lots of discussion about using and building wood splitters on this forum. Search around and you will find a lot of information.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on the splitter. Anxious to see the pics of what you have now.

/ Wood splitter #10  
That upside down trick is a rather good idea. On the picture that I posted, the valve could be moved back near the other valve.