Pond Rake

/ Pond Rake #1  

stray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power-trac 422 2003 model and 428 January 2015 model
I need to design and build a pond rake. I would like it to extend about 15 feet out from the PT. I think it needs to be 4 feet wide and the teeth about 2 feet deep. I have in mind using 3/8 rod for the teeth. I made a rake I use by hand (some what smaller) it worked well but a lot of work. I have altogether about 4 acres of water (5 ponds). I was wondering if any of you all had any ideas or new of any thing similar one could buy and adapt for this job.

/ Pond Rake #2  
I'll bet with something protruding 15 feet out in front of the PT that you can tip it on its nose with one hand. So, I cannot recommend anything like that.

I have seen some hand operated ones that look like a Y shape with a rope connected to the base of the Y. You toss it out as far as you can, let it sink, and pull it in. The leading edges of the arms are sharpened, so it cuts the weed off at the bottom. Hmmm.. maybe that is a weed cutter and not a rake. Anywho, any weight sticking way out front might get you a result like this...

Official PT test Pilot!

/ Pond Rake
Nice pick but you know very well if you straighten that PT out you could easily load those logs. LOL Later on I will take some pics and explain the pond situation better.
I don’t need to lift any thing but the rake at the 14 or 15 feet. Just pull weeds in. Drop the rake in, let it hit the bottom and pull back.

/ Pond Rake #4  
<font color="red"> if you straighten that PT out you could easily load those logs </font>

He did and it did

/ Pond Rake #5  
OK. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But remember, if the rake gets stuck on something sticking way out there and you step on the reverse pedal, you're going to tip forward. And since the seat also tips forward, you're going to have a belly full of steering wheel real quick. Just experiment and go slow. And of course, take interesting photos /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Ask the folks with the mini hoe's how it works if they step on the reverse pedal when the bucket is buried in the bottom of a hole. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Pond Rake #6  
"" you're going to have a belly full of steering wheel ""

Always wear your seat belt!!

If your belly hits the steering wheel with your seat belt fastened, you need to get a smaller belly!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pond Rake
Thanks guys I’ll sure keep that in mind. Ideas and thoughts like this are just what I’m looking for. Thanks again!!!!

/ Pond Rake #8  
<font color="red"> I need to design and build a pond rake. I would like it to extend about 15 feet out from the PT. I think it needs to be 4 feet wide and the teeth about 2 feet deep. </font>

I took the wimpy tines off my Power Trac rake & replaced them with 18 inch tedder tines. Something like that might work for you. The tines are in two alternating rows, one on either side of the 5 ft bar. Works great pulling weeds out of ditches /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sedgewood

Attachments

• 490871-Modified-Rake.jpg
    490871-Modified-Rake.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 581
   / Pond Rake #9  
The current power trac rake looks like the one you created /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Pond Rake
Yes something like that has possibilities for me at least for the rake part. that still leaves the handle.
Here are some pics of my hand pond rake. It works very well for man power. What I am shooting for is to make one with a strong enough but light handle that won’t bend when the end is mounted to a receiver hitch that I put on a quick plate for the PT. I want it to be 4 ft wide and I don’t want to have to back the PT up the full 15 ft but I need it that long. Pulleys? Sections? Cylinders? Or what?

Attachments

• 491026-Pond rake.JPG
    491026-Pond rake.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 692