Driving Safety

/ Driving Safety #1  

pajoube

Veteran Member
Tractor
Former Owner PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)
I live on a road the gets more traffic each year. As I drive my 425 to the West end of my property by way of the edge of the front road concern has always been for safety. I looked around for commercial safety reflectors but all were too large. I decided to paint my own on the back of the 425 using a spray reflective paint. Turned out well and very visible and very low cost.
PJ

Attachments

• 521985-MVC-447F.JPG
    521985-MVC-447F.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 301
   / Driving Safety #2  
Please do yourself a favor and buy a Slow Moving Vehicle triangle and put on the rear. You can buy the plastic ones for less than $5 and it might save your life.

In Texas if the highway patrol catches you on the road without an SMV sign on the rear they will write you a ticket.

Bill Tolle

/ Driving Safety
That is what I was looking for but all of them were to large and were plastic. That is the reason I went to the painted triangle that would fit.
PJ

/ Driving Safety #4  
When I plowed snow with my Power King, I used a SMV sign and an amber foglight>v

PKtbn.jpg

Since the SMV sign would block the vents on the PT-425, and I don't plow much snow in NC /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif , for road edge safety, day or night, I use the amber gumball>v

Rear_TBN.jpg

Or, you could consider painting your PT with Safety Yellow paint>v

Click here.

AAA_smiley__.jpg

PS: Your painted on SMV sign ISN'T A TRIANGLE!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PPS: No reversed wheels yet!!???!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Driving Safety #5  
<font color="blue"> Since the Safety Triangle would block the vents on the PT-425... </font>

Just out of curiosity, could you make a bracket to hang the SMV sign from the rear edge of you canopy? As I'm not a PT owner, I don't know if this is a reasonable thing to do or not. From the photos, it looks doable.

<font color="blue"> PS: Your painted on Safety Triangle ISN'T A TRIANGLE!!!! </font>

I was thinkin' the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Driving Safety #6  
"" could you make a bracket to hang the SMV sign from the rear edge of you canopy? ""

Yes, but it would block your rearward vision!!

If I really wanted one, I would just screw a couple of small, but thick, wooden blocks to the grating, then screw the SMV sign to the blocks. That way air could pass behind the sign and through the grating!! However, on my remote, seldom traveled road the amber gumball works just fine! Besides, I think it's kinda /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif !!
If you should go the gumball route, be sure to use the amber lens, since the red or blue is illegal unless you happen to be carrying a badge or a fire extinguisher and ladder!! Also, you must use a magnetic base gumball, because drilling holes in the gas tank would not be /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif !!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Driving Safety #7  
I have the same concerns when working near the road. I have an old metal SMV sign from my big tractor. I plan on using some computer hard drive magnets so that it will stick to the metal cage when needed, but I can remove it when in the woods. However, I will then need to remember to put it on each time I need it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I like your reflective paint solution. Anything to make it more noticable. I've never seen the stuff in a can. Do you have any brand information? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Driving Safety
As I drive next to the road and not on the road this has given me great visibility. I have not had a need to drive in the dark as yet and hope not to. The rear end of the PT is dark in color, with this bright patch I have a better chance of being seen.
When researching for paint the only product I could find was at HD. Made by Rust-Oleum, Flourescent Bright Neon. Listed for high visibility finishes which reflect more light for vibrant color.
Not truly a reflective spray paint but very bright.
PJ