Buying Advice need buying advice

/ need buying advice #1  

djh

I know this probably get asked a lot, but everybody has different requirements, so here it goes again.
I am looking at a 180vs422vs425.
I will get a brush cutter, snow plow and both regular buckets.
I have 8 acres of trees planted in rows that I mow between a few times a year. Will move some dirt and plow some snow also, no really big jobs. Cold weather use is important though. I am not a bigger is better type of guy. I buy the best value that will do what I need.
I also own a International M, a couple ATVs, a JD gator, a riding mower and a pull finish mower, so I am not looking for the PT to do everything. One question I have is what brands of motors are in these sizes and looking for advice on which one to buy.
thanks
dan

/ need buying advice #2  
Well, Dan, I see your questions have not been answered by one of the experienced PT owners so I'll chime in. I do not own a PT but have spent countless hours on this forum enjoying the exploits of this fine fraternity so I've come away with a little knowledge (operative word here is "little").

From my understanding, both the 425 and 422 have Robin engines. I don't know that I've read any posts from a 180 owner here so I don't know what brand of engine it has. The 425 used to have Kohler engines, but I think they recently made the change to Robin.

As far as advice on which model, I won't even pretend to know. However, the experts here generaly will ask about the terrain you will be operating on (hilly, flat, etc.). The more hills, the more HP they will advise you to get, I'm sure. Also, the 425 I think has more robust wheel motors which combined with the increased HP, would perform better on hills.

OK, I hope this helped. Now, I'm sure one of the real PT guys will soon give you the meaningful answers you are looking for.

Good luck.

/ need buying advice #3  
"" one of the real PT guys ""

Some folks may consider me "one of the real PT guys", while others may consider me something else entirely!!

That said, first I would advise you to save us all a lot of time by reading the Power Trac Posts for about the last year!!
Click "Discussions", then "Power Trac, then "Show - active in the last year - Change".

I advise that you read, or at least scan, each page, because we have a habit of wandering around, and sometimes even off, the original question!! Golden nuggets of info can often be found among the gravel of discourse!!

Or, if that is too daunting a task, at least read all FOURTEEN posts!! I assure you that they are the most informative, funny, inspirational, well written, accurate, knowledgeable, innovative, and factual, while exceedingly modest /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Posts anywhere on TBN!!!!

Any questions not answered by the past Posts will be resolved for you promptly!!

Welcome to Power Trac on TBN! You are in the right place now!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ need buying advice #4  
Spoken like a REAL PT guy!

/ need buying advice #5  
Someone has had a little too much Halloween candy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ need buying advice #6  
DJH,

As 14 said, peruse the back posts. I did, and learned much. This last weekend I was able to spend both days on my new 422 and had no disappointments. I must've pulled over 50 old manzanita stumps with the mini-hoe, and ground off another half-dozen live oak stumps with the stump grinder.

Before operating it the first time, I reversed the direction of the stump grinder.... after reading past posts about that. The posts were right. It works great and throws the debris AWAY from the tractor.

Before using the brush hog, I'll put spacers on the bolts that "stop" the blades when they strike something. Again, learned from the past posts.

Past posts can help much. But for your question, I didn't choose the 180 because it doesn't have the quick attach, nor as good of a selection of attachments as the rest of the fleet. The 425 would've been great too, but for the price of a 425 I was able to get a 422 with the attachments I needed.

Phil

/ need buying advice #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( DJH,

As 14 said, peruse the back posts. I did, and learned much. This last weekend I was able to spend both days on my new 422 and had no disappointments. I must've pulled over 50 old manzanita stumps with the mini-hoe, and ground off another half-dozen live oak stumps with the stump grinder.

Before operating it the first time, I reversed the direction of the stump grinder.... after reading past posts about that. The posts were right. It works great and throws the debris AWAY from the tractor.

Before using the brush hog, I'll put spacers on the bolts that "stop" the blades when they strike something. Again, learned from the past posts.

Past posts can help much. But for your question, I didn't choose the 180 because it doesn't have the quick attach, nor as good of a selection of attachments as the rest of the fleet. The 425 would've been great too, but for the price of a 425 I was able to get a 422 with the attachments I needed.

Phil

)</font>

Phil, you have made some great points:) I will give some of us some more things to think about:)

KC

/ need buying advice
I did read the last couple months of posts before I posted.
Didn't see too much on the 180. I did a seach for the past year on the 180 and found more. Enough to talk myself out of it. I have worked on industrial hydraulics for 10 years and not having a cooler is a negative. Will have to look over the past year 422 and 425 posts when I have more time.
The 422 is on the top of my list now, which is a start.

/ need buying advice #9  
From your initial post's expected usage, prob'ly the 422 would be fine for your use. You won't get the ROPS, but that can be inconvenient when mowing around low-branched trees. The 425 has more power, but I have not yet seen where I'd need more than the 422... it's a pretty strong unit.

One of the biggest differences is in the warranty: using the 422 for commercial work voids the warranty. If your trees are a business and you will be using the tractor in a business, the 425 warranty would be better. The 422 is strictly "homeowner" only for warranty purposes.

/ need buying advice
The trees are just planted around my house, no business.
They are only a few years old, so I will be dead anyway before they are big enough to sell. LOL

Now that I am leaning towards the 422, I have a question about the brush cutter. I will never be cutting brush, just weeds and grass. Will it cut off 6-8" tall weeds and grass or just knock them over?