Trencher use

/ Trencher use #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I would like to discuss extra uses for the various attachments. I will start with the trencher

1. Dig trenches (Duh)
2. Dig post holes
3. Dig a pond
4. Break up dirt - The resulting dirt is very fine.
5. Pull your self out of a hole. The trencher will pull you forward and add a little extra force.
6. Convey dirt a short distance.
7. Cut roots - Over two inches in diameter is very difficult. I use the stump grinder for this.

I am sure that others will have additional suggestions.

/ Trencher use #2  
Which trencher are you talking about. I have both trenchers. The 21 in wheeled trencher. 2 in wide. and the chain type trencher for 4 to 6 in trench.

/ Trencher use
I am talking about the 4 to 6 inch wide trencher which looks like a chain saw with really big teeth, although you can post uses for the other one if you like.

/ Trencher use
Just to post a few "facts" about the chain saw like trencher

1. According to Power Trac it has a life of about 1 mile. Of course I am sure this varies depending on the soil or gravel trenched.
2. While using it on gravel a piece of rock will sometimes get between the chain and a bolt head. I keep a hammer and cold chisel handy to knock this out. Sometimes this can be a real nusiance.
3. The tension on the chain has to be adjusted periodically. To do this put the trencher horizonal and there should be a gap between the chain and the bottom of the bar. This gap is about 4 inches or the width of your hand. Please check this with the engine off and the PTO off. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Loosen the center bolts and adjust the tensioning bolts to achieve this gap and then retighten the center bolts.
4. In normal soil (no rocks, not too many roots, no big roots) I can trench about a yard a minute. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
5. The chain has to be oiled peroidically. I keep a quart handy in the ROP Rack and poor about 1/4 of it on prior to start and peroidically during use. I probably don't use enough.

/ Trencher use #5  
I probably have over a mile on mine - have changed a nose wheel bearing (common bearing, just peen it into sprocket), chain will last a long time yet. I oil it each shutdown with old gear oil or chainsaw bar lube. I use a lot of 3/8 in bolts due to the rocky soil.

It works great to cut down a bank that is too tough for the bucket with teeth, and is faster than minihoe. I find that putting the chain on the ground almost flat and backing up will dislodge most rocks (PTO off). I have a lot of rocks in this clay and find that it will bring up things the size of small watermellons - works best at a pretty steep angle so that rocks are pulled up instead of the chain just riding on them.

Don

/ Trencher use
Thanks for your comments Don. It's good to know that the chain may last longer than the mile. Specifically where are the 3/8 inch bolts that you refer to?

It digs even when off. I never thought of that.

Bob

/ Trencher use #7  
Have any of you guys used the stump grinder for a trencher?

/ Trencher use #8  
Welcome to the PT group of owners. Will get you added to the list of owners by state.
PJ

/ Trencher use #9  
"" stump grinder for a trencher? ""

Of course!!

StumpGrinderTrenchTBN.jpg

See:
#498780 - 09/18/04 11:20 PM
At: PT-425 PROS & cons??

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trencher use #10  
Figures that you would have done this already Fourteen /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

How did you like it, and what does it do to the teeth?