Leaf Handling

/ Leaf Handling #1  

Charlie_Iliff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II
Ontheweb's inquiry in the First PT rhread suggested to me that it is that time again, and some leaf handling ideas need to be revisited.
I mulch mine with the PT 1845 rough-cut mower, and an Exmark walk behind, and leave the shreds where they lie.
Hans at one point had a leaf blower on his quick attach, but I don't know if he still uses that.
There have been some posts about leaf vacuum conversions.
And, of course, MossRoad's.
CLICK
Anyone have links to the other discussions, or new ideas to post?

/ Leaf Handling #2  
you made pictures of it but i can't find them on this forum .... sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Leaf Handling #3  
Hans,
Someone posted a link to, I think, yours. But it is no longer on that site.

/ Leaf Handling #4  
Jerry,

I think you're talking about the link I posted in First TBN Power Trac Owner thread, which is still there.

But to make it easy on you, here it is again... Leaf Collection w/Leaf Plow /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Leaf Handling #6  
They've got some movies on that page. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Leaf Handling #7  
Has any one with a rear discharge mower tried driving backwards and see how fine the mower will cut the leaves, like a poor mans mulcher?

KC

/ Leaf Handling #8  
Yep. It flings them out the left front instead of the right rear. It does a good job of cutting them into little bits, but we have so many, that the little bits will kill the grass, too. There's just too many leaves for mulching to be a good alternative. If you want really, really nice grass, you have to get that many leaves off of it. I mulch my clippings and 4/5ths of my leaves right back into the lawn, but that 1/5 by the woods just can't be done that way. That's why I use my bucket or snow plow to push them back into the woods to rot on their own. Makes good dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Leaf Handling #9  
Yes, I have done that and it works very well. But to be honest, I mulched an extremely heavy amount of leaves with the finish mower going forward at full throttle but not fast. You would have thought I had mulch blades on the deck which I do not. I was very impressed.
PJ

/ Leaf Handling #10  
Thanks for the info, I do mulch my leaves now and it does a good job.

KC