Cold starting

/ Cold starting #1  

eambrose

Bronze Member
Hey guys - just thought I would ask for any new ideas on cold starting. The 25hp Kohler does not like to start in the cold

My nephew Dan operates my old 425 (same model as Moss's) and he always has a difficult time starting it - (when the hydraulic oil gets so thick and cold) - he keeps the tricle charger on it all the time and also has a magnetic heater on the pump - still no luck for this storm - it would not start. needless to say he was disappointed as he could not plow.

He is now keeping it in the garage - but it is too cold in there as well for it to start. I think the problem is the battery is too small and does not have enough cranking amps. In the pictures on the PT site, it looks like they relocated it to behind the gas tank where you can get at it - it also looks like a larger auto battery. Can anyone verify this

I am wondering if there is room for me to relocate his to this configuration? Probably not since the engine is farther back in the new one.

I am also going to have them try and heat up the garage with a heater.

I will be up to my sisters place on Thursday and will have a look at it - I am sure the plugs are probably fouled with him trying to start it. I will get it started with a jump

Any ideas?

/ Cold starting #2  
Jump start it when cold. Keep a fully charged battery and heavy duty jumper cables that are as short as possible handy. Hopefully once it is started during the day, it will stay warm enough to restart easily. This may be easier than redesigning the battery layout.
Jack of Robin Engines suggested using a synthetic oil as the hydraulic fluid. It will not get as thick when cold.

Use platinum plugs with small diameter electrodes. The smaller electrode lets the spark jump across the same width gap easier.

These are just guesses, maybe somebody else has better ideas. I keep my 422 in a heated garage where it rarely goes below 55.

Bob Ripley

/ Cold starting #3  
I place a magnetic block heater under the oil tank, keep the battery on charge, and even have a booster battery nearby. Does anyone know of an immersion heater that one can place inside the oil tank?

/ Cold starting #4  
Sorry to hear of his problems. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ours started fine the other day. It was -5 in the garage. Still the original battery. I do keep a trickle charger on it at all times this year. I pull the throttle all the way to full. I do a full choke and crank till it kicks then let off the switch. If it doesn't take, I back the choke down to between 3/4 and 1/2 and it has always started. If it ever gets to the third try(which it hasn't, yet) I will give it a one second blast of starting fluid. No more than that.

I run Mobil1 in the engine. Still on the original hydraulic mystery oil(aren't sure what they put in there from the factory /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). If it ever starts to discolor, I will probably switch to synthetic oil for the hydraulic system.

Give the starting fluid one try. If it doesn't at least pop, I'd pull the plugs and clean and gap them. Check them on the side of the engine to ensure there is actually a spark. If there is a spark, then re-install and try starting fluid one more time. If it pops on the starting fluid, but won't run, then start checking for fuel problems.

Good luck, Ed. Please let us know how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Cold starting #5  
I have problems starting my Kohler powered 425 below 20 F. Best method discovered so far. Hook up portable jumper battery. 3/4 to full throttle start cranking pull chock slowing to 3/4 or full usually starts. Just my method.

sg

/ Cold starting #6  
I mentioned in my stuck in float problem on using the oil filled radiator type heater to start my 422. I read someone's post a while back and there was an attachment showing how the person had the heater laying on it's side under the oil tank. The first time I slide the heater under the PT it didn't start and then realized I didn't have it pushed forward enough.
It worked after moving the heater forward but had to raise the back since the heater has wheels on it and they were keeping it from sliding forward. I let it set for 20 minutes and fired right up. Hope this helps.

Dan

/ Cold starting #7  
I have had my tractor for 6 years now and only had problems starting a couple of times. I have mine out in the cold but under cover. I use full throttle and full choke, -7 the other morning and it started right up. Oringional battery and no charger. A few weeks ago I tried to start it and it would not even turn over, charged the battery overnight and same thing. Took the exhaust off to get the battery out, took off the starter and brought them to NAPA where they told me they were perfect. Put the tractor back together, checked all the wires and it still would not turn over. Looked at the control panel, PTO switch was on. My son had sat on the tractor the week before and must of switched it on. As they say, check the obvious first. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Cold starting #8  
Here's the pic of the radiator under the tractor. Someone also suggested putting a moving blanket over the engine compartment to keep it warm.

Attachments

• 571606-PT and Radiator.JPG
    571606-PT and Radiator.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 188
   / Cold starting
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I am going to change the plugs when I get up there and jump it (I know it will start) I am just trying to come up with a reliable solution that a 13 yr old can deal with. I just don't like the idea of him jumping it alone all the time - I think the heater under it may be a good idea.

I will let you know what happens -

Moss - I don't really know why it gives us a problem - I used to have the same problem with it - THere is NO WAY it would start the way yours does in 5 degree weather - It was in the garage which I would guess would have to be at least 20 to 25 degrees - it is not heated but still has to be warmer than outside since it is attached to her house. If the starter can turn it over really fast with a jump - it starts up.

/ Cold starting #10  
Other years my 422 was hard to start in cold weather. I put new spark plugs in and put the battery on charge to get it fully charged and it started right up. Since then I charge the battery (5 years old) before cold weather and either replace or clean the spark plugs and also add dry gas to the fuel tank and have had no starting problems. Tractor kept in unheated garage away from house.