Info on 1430

/ Info on 1430 #31  
I spent nearly $500 on 4 bar tires and rims to match. Used them for about 8 weeks or so and put the turfs back on. I really don’t know if I will ever put the bars back on. I guess one big advantage for the bars would be on going out the side of a hill. They will hold better in that situation where the turfs might slide.

/ Info on 1430 #32  
I have bar tires on mine, but they are a little hard on the yard . Now that I have some new grass growing I kind of wish I had the turf treads. Because of the design of the tractor you'll be amazed at how often you can get out of being stuck. I think that in most cases the turf treads may be desirable.

/ Info on 1430
Has anyone ever tried R4 Inustrial Tires like the ones on the bigger Pt's? Those are a good compromise. Probably expensive though.

/ Info on 1430 #34  
I got my self into a situation with my 1445 where one wheel was off the ground, and no other wheel motor was turning. I had to jack up the frame and shove some logs under the wheel, and I backed right out.

I am thinking that the fluid goes to the path of least resistance first. It would be nice to apply brakes to the spinning tire to let pressure build up in the system for the other wheels, then one would hardly ever get stuck.

/ Info on 1430 #35  
On my 422, I have actually attached the aerator, pushed it down and driven around with the front wheels off of the ground. The front wheels spun, but there was plenty of traction from the rear wheels. If you have both wheels on one side off of the ground then you will have not traction. Of course this is a 422, your machine may be different. The wheels on one side are in series with the output fluid from one wheel being the input to the other. If both wheels on one side are off the ground, then all of the fluid flows through that side and there is little pressure on the other side and very little torque.

Bob Rip

/ Info on 1430 #36  
I have the turf tires on my 422 and have had little traction problems. Yesterday I used my 422 to take my dual axle trailer with my 7 1/2 foot heavy duty disk loaded on it up to my shed. The snow had melted and the road was muddy. The wheels on the left side were both spinning but the right side had traction and kept me going. The road is anout 12 degree slope and the weight of the trailer and disk totaled about 2000 lbs. I was pretty impressed that my pt 422 would pull that much weight under those conditions.

/ Info on 1430
Thanks for the replies guys,
Haven't heard much about the 2 cyl. diesel engine though. I've never owned a diesel before. I've heard good and bad about them. My neighbor has a diesel Kubota BX and it's pretty nice since I guess Kubota makes their own engines.

Thanks

/ Info on 1430 #38  
<font color="red"> Kubota makes their own engines. </font>

I've had a Kubota 7100 and a Jacobsen mower with Kubota. They're great engines. The 3 cylinder Deutz on the PT, however is easier starting, self priming, so no injector bleeding, and much better in cold weather. It is louder than the Kubota, and I think the 2 cyl is a bit louder still, but I wear hearing protection on any machine these days anyway. (If I'd done that when I was younger, I wouldn't have my usual excuse not to have done what my wife asked me to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ Info on 1430 #39  
<font color="red"> (If I'd done that when I was younger, I wouldn't have my usual excuse not to have done what my wife asked me to. </font>

I saw a study where it showed that as we get older we loose the ability to hear at the frequency that most women talked. So you can blame part of it on your age. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Must be some kind of survival characteristic. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Info on 1430
O.K, here's a question for you guys.
What do you do about leaves?
I know there isn't a bagger or anything. Do you shred them with the mower? My yard gets a lot of leaves from the neighboring yards.