Buying Advice may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments #1  

ElBubba

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425
Hi,

I've been thinking about getting a 422/425/2425 for several months and am leaning very strongly towards getting a 425 after talking to Scott at power-trac and monitoring this forum.

I'd like to have a backhoe but this bumps me to the 2425 and with attachments and shipping, etc., we're looking at $20K which is just too much (wife needs a new car badly). The 422 might do but Scott says the motor torques are 50% greater on the 425 so for $2K extra I'm inclined to buy the 425.

The big problem I have is deciding on attachments so let me describe what needs to be done around the house. We have 5 acres of which about 1.5 is lawn. We've got a terrific garden tractor (Deere GT235) that will handle all the mowing chores so mowing attachments are not an issue. The rest of the property is mixed Virginia pine and hardwoods. About two acres are sloping behind the house at 20-40 degrees according to my inclinometer and look like the Dark Forest that Prince Charming had to hack through to get to Sleeping Beauty. It is an ugly tangle of vines, downed logs, hung up pines, 8-foot tall dead tree stubs ... you get the picture. Naturally this is the view outside the kitchen window and I'd like to clean up the mess along the top of the slope so that the view from the house doesn't scare small children. The rest of the land is pretty flat but needs work.

When Hurricane Isabel came through recently we got hit by a freak whirlwind that pancaked every tree in a 150x150 area and blew over all the larger Virginia Pines along a strip 150' wide running along the entire edge of the property. In fact it follewed the property line (staying on our side of course) better than a surveyor could have down leaving a mess that I worked off and on over several months. Finally I threw in the towel and paid a crew $5K to take out the root balls and to cut up the remaining downed trees into 16" chunks which my wife and I then split into about 15 cords of firewood. The crew hauled away 14 garbage truck loads - mostly root balls.

So now I've got an instant small meadow that I'd like to till and level nicely and use partly for a garden and partly as lawn (crocquet any one?). This area has no stumps but lots of roots and the ground is good old Virginia brick, aka clay.

The rest of the flat portion of the property has semi rotted pine stumps ranging up to three foot diameter. Mostly though there are at least 75 small "stumps" of 2"-6" that I want to get rid of so that I can mow around the trees and hopefully get a grassy covering to develop.

Another way to fill my days will be to gradually cut down the remaining pines that are clearly going to come down any ways over the next few years and to use them as firewood. As you might have guessed we bought a wood stove and will be heating the house with it most of the winter. This last year it worked out great but hauling a LOT of firewood around is in my few future for several years.

Some other miscellaneous tasks include:

*** Dig trench to run electric to new garage - about 100'.

*** Dig trench to run beefed up power to heat pumps for pool - about 50' running on a 20-30 degree slope.

*** Scoop out 20 years of sediment that has pretty much filled up drainage ditch along road. There is about 300-400' that is miserable muck. You can't even see the culvert under the driveway although I know it is there.

*** Dig up old mailbox on pole sunk in concrete that is in the middle of this ditch and replace it with a new one. I expect the mail lady would be very grateful not to have to drive through the Black Lagoon every afternoon for six months of the year.

*** Dig up and replace way too small drainage pipe that runs out of the pool shed. This is probably a good 20' long and buried about a foot down. Unfortunately it is in among a lot of trees and might not be accessible.

*** Dig up about 50-70' of chain link (poles in concrete) to replace with picket fence to match rest of yard.

*** Clear off about 1/8 acre of brush that I've HAND CLEARED FOR THREE YEARS and am really really tired of doing.

*** Dig 16 holes in the ground to put in berry vines in plastic half barrels. These would be about 2' deep and maybe 2' across.

*** Dig 15 holes about 1/2 cubic yard each to plant fruit and nut trees. I intend to mix in about 1/4 part sand and a couple cups of lime with the excavated dirt to make instant topsoil and to moderate the acidity (pH 4.5 tested by county).

*** Dig out under about 100' of chain link and then put back the dirt but with that black cloth-like covering that helps prevent weeds growing along the fence. I would also spread mulch/chips on top.

Shovel over 300' of driveway 2-6 times a year, never more than 8"-10" of snow.

I'm getting tired just listing this stuff...

My inclination is to get: brush cutter, stump cutter, snow blade with rubber edge, and mini-hoe.

After that it gets more difficult. Would a grapple bucket and maybe 10 cu ft light material bucket round off my needs? What about forks, tiller, 4-in-1 bucket or box blade. I certainly won't get all of these because of cost and fitting into garage. I'm mostly in a quandry over 4-in-1 bucket vs grapple bucket. Or how about 5 cu ft bucket with teeth?

This Sunday I'm going to see an owner about 30 minutes from here to try out his PT-425 and a few of his attachments; unfortunately he doesn't have several of the items I'd like to check out so I'm very interested in other owners opinions.

With bated breath...
1.jpg

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments #2  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From the picture, that is what our woods looks like. No problem eating everything on the ground with the brush cutter. I'd be concerned with going past the rated angle of the engine in the PT425 with the angles you mentioned, but that is an oiling and lubrication issue of the engine.

We also have the power angle snow blade(no rubber lip, didn't offer it at that time). It works great on our paved driveway. Your back will thank you.

The mini hoe sounds like fun. I am still debating between that and a full back hoe. I can see many projects around our place where I just need to take a scoop or two to pop out a bush or small stump VS using a full sized hoe. However, a full sized hoe could tackle trenching a lot faster than the mini hoe. I am limited by my wallet VS practicality VS spouse. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments #3  
wow...and I thought my "to do " list was involved!! I only have the small bucket and mower so can't be of much help on trenching, etc...but I hafta ask.....why not sell the JD and use that $$ for the PT mower and other attachments that it seems you will need?? I would think the PT can do everything the JD can do and I doubt you'll be disappointed with the mower...may even give a better cut since the mower is out front instead of behind the front tires..assuming it has a belly mower? You may even save some time cutting with the PT? I was tempted to sell my Farmall and belly mower for the same reasons but I'm just too darn attached(pun intended!) to the ole girl! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments #4  
Last summer I dug a trench 18" deep and 110' long for electric conduit, took about 3 hours using the mini hoe was a lot of fun. I had a hard time justifing the price of the mini hoe but after diging the trench, several septic tank lids, and a pine tree stump, I can say it was worth it.

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments #5  
16hrs on my 422 so I'm still a newbie. I've got the trencher and mini hoe, rototiller too.. I used the trencher to prepare to plant roses (100) and will be using it for the watering lines as well. I've used the mini hoe sparingly; the trencher works so well I haven't needed the mini hoe much. I also have the 4-1 bucket, which is great for moving dirt. I too have a belly mower 42" MTD and am delighted at how much faster and better I can mow with the PT due to its power and maneuverability, having the mower out front is great. I want the post hole/plant auger but find the trencher takes care of most of what I would need from them. I've used the light materials bucket to move yards of soil could do that with the 4-1 but the light material bucket holds a lot more.

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments
Hi "MossRoad"

I've spent hours reading your posts and thank you for all the help/info you provide to folks like myself.

You say you're interested in adding a "full" backhoe; I thought you had a 425 but supposedly one needs a 2425 for a full BH. Are you looking at third party, home built, or do you know something about the 425's ability to use PT's full backhoe that I don't?

Here's what I was doing for about 3 weeks last Feb.
bigtrunk.jpg

The Deere is perfect for our mowing needs. I can maneuver between trees easily and besides my wife likes it a lot. Also, We've got a cart that hooks up in 3 seconds and off we go to carry gardening equip etc. No, I think I'll keep it.

/ may buy 425 monday - asking advice on attachments #8  
Now that looks like work. It think if have a video of the PT425 moving something similar with the forks. A little bigger, but the same idea... my back cringes at photos like that! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for a backhoe, I would either buy the one for the PT2425 and adapt it like Ed did, or I would buy a kit from CAD Plans and build one. That one is self supporting, so the PT would just be there to power the hydraulics and manuever it around the property.

Here's some links to some photos fo Ed's setup...

PT425 with PT2425 backhoe

Pic 2

I think Ed mentioned something about a little bit of strain on the link that goes between the quick attach plate and the bottom of the arm that is activated by the dump/curl cylinder on the FEL arms when you operate the backhoe under extreme situations. I'll have to go back and see. That is one of the reasons I was considering the CAD Plans unit. It lifted a little higher, dug a little deeper and had a little more force, but the main reason was it was stand alone and would only put about 400 pounds of pressure on the PT lift arms, which is well withing the 800 pound limit.

Suppose I do work at 30 degree slope or greater, what would happen? Would I damage the engine or hydraulics? Would there be symptoms to let me know something was amiss?

I have zero welding experience or equipment - just woodworking stuff. Presumably that rules out adapting the 2425 BH?