Steiner 420 vs PT 425

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #11  
<font color="blue"> If you are dead set of a Steiner/Ventrac, I would get the Ventrac. It is a better tractor. </font>

I looked at the Ventracs at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville. They looked like nice machines. The one I examined had two hydrostatic transaxles which were belt driven from a Kawasaki engine. I think it would be somewhat more fuel efficient than a PT with that setup (much less hydraulic hose to generate power loss).

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #12  
A little clarification about the construction of Steiner and Ventrac power trains. The engine shaft drives a hydro pump on one end and has a belt pulley that drives the front PTO on the other end of the crankshaft. The hydro pump powers one hydraulic motor on the front transaxle and another motor on the rear transaxle.

JackIL

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #13  
we will see in about 20 years............ /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #14  
<font color="blue">A little clarification about the construction of Steiner and Ventrac power trains. The engine shaft drives a hydro pump on one end and has a belt pulley that drives the front PTO on the other end of the crankshaft. The hydro pump powers one hydraulic motor on the front transaxle and another motor on the rear transaxle. </font>

I think the Ventracs have two different systems, depending on which model we are discussing. I only looked at the Ventrac 3000 at the National Farm Machinery Show, and it looked like it had drive belts going to both transaxles. I asked the factory rep about the drive, and that is what he told me too.

I just looked at the literature that I brought back. Ventrac calls the drive systems AWD (All Wheel Drive), except on the 3000 model which they label AWD TDT (Tandem Drive Train).

Bob Skurka has a Ventrac 3000. He posted this pic saying, "Here is a picture of the tractor bent in a hard turn, you can see the belts that drive the hydrostatic drive system." Note the plural term belts.

Perahps Bob will chime in and confirm or deny my "two belt theory." /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #15  
I don't have either machine so take it how ever you want. If you ever want to buy attachments the PT looks to be less expensive. The PT comes with a loader, or at least the loader arms, Steiner want $3500 for a loader. The Steiner auger is over $5000! Ouch. Of course you said you could rent, but renting can be inconvenient at times.

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #16  
With a lot of products the supplier has to compete on the initial purchase prices. Once you buy the product then they do not have to compete on the attachments. Computer printers are like this. The printers are sometime dirt cheap, but the ink cartridges are expensive. When you price a tractor add in all of the attachments that you would probably buy and compare the two tractors like that. Of course there are other factors than just price.
Me, I like to own the attachments. Also 200 lb. lift capacity sounds like a wheel barrow and not a tractor.

Bob Rip

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #17  
You are right. My comments about the power train were specifically about the Ventrac 4000 series tractors. The 3000 is entirely different.

JackIL

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #18  
yooperdave:

I think you probably have enough information about the machines by reading this thread and also Bob's threads where he has posted comparisons.

Here's one about the 3000 click here

Comparison of Steiner to Ventrac

A nice informative thread on the 422 vs Ventrac

Finally, check out MossRoad's site on the 435. It gives you an excellent overview (with videos) of the PT capabilities. It helped me a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MossRoad's Site

It seems that your issue is what you want to spend? You might want to answer a few questions:

How much FEL work do you think you want to do?
Do you mow on steep slopes
What size HP engine are you looking for?
Gas or diesel?
Do you want a lot of attachments and have the money to spend for the more pricey items?
Can you service it yourself, (are you a handy guy)?
Finally, what is your budget?

This might help with the decision.

One thing is for sure. You will find a lot of helpful people on here no matter what tractor you buy.

/ Steiner 420 vs PT 425 #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 200 lb. lift capacity sounds like a wheel barrow and not a tractor.)</font>
AAA_smiley__.jpg

<font color="red"> And a very expensive wheel barrow at that!!
AAAsmiley.jpg
</font>