Trencher

/ Trencher #1  

425trailer

Tractor
PT 425
Has anyone using the trencher on a 425 found a way to prevent so much dirt being thrown back into the ditch? I was going to dig some ditches for water pipes today but I had difficulty in getting deep enough. The trencher will dig 36", however the dirt being thrown back in was about 9" deep. They weren't quite satisfied with that pipe depth, and I too would rather bury them deep enough to never worry about frost in the future.

/ Trencher #2  
To be honest I have found the same problem when digging a deep trench. When digging a trench of a foot or so the dirt will not fall back in. I think the disk that pulls the dirt to the side can handle only so much before some will return to the trench.
Sure is a handy attachment, besides digging trenches I do all the hedge planting using the trencher.
PJ

/ Trencher #3  
I ended up buying a trench shovel (at least that's what I call it). It is just the width of the trench and good for cleaning it out. However, I never dig a trench that deep as our frost line is 18 inches in Virginia.

/ Trencher #4  
<font color="red">However, I never dig a trench that deep as our frost line is 18 inches in Virginia.
</font>

Our frost line is considered 48 inches here in NY and I've heard of cases where it has gone down 60-72 inches. That and the liberal sprinkling of glacial rocks in the hardpan make a small trencher of limited use around here. Unfortunately. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sedgewood

/ Trencher #5  
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr now thats what i call a deep freeze but it could be worse it could be that cold down here in ga. lol

/ Trencher #6  
I have always wondered how good the frost line really is. My neighbor was trying to did a hole for a bird feeder. He hit something at about a foot down. I took the trencher and found it was ice going down at least one more foot, and we don't live in the coldest part of Virginia. This was in January after the coldest November and December on record. The trencher cut through the ice just fine though.