SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #21  
Re: SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR

<font color="red">Should I weld or bolt the spoons on or maybe screws? </font>

I'd think that would depend on which will cost your more time and or money. i.e. Do you have to change them out often or not?

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #22  

I would weld them on, if you own a welder. If you designed the unit, do what ever is easier for you. If you bolt them on, use grade 5 or 8 bolts.

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #23  

Bob,

The resurrection of this thread only reminded me of my own little debacle with core aerating that I posted way back in the thread. The aeration worked fantastically, but let me just say: "Call before you dig" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #24  

That's because the phone companies (and cable companies, I might add) aren't that concerned about non-feeder lines. If it was fiber it would be a totally different story. About 20 years ago my Dad did the same thing to the phone line but he was using a handheld weeder while going after the dandelions. What are the odds that he'd get the phone line doing that way?? Guess it's just bad luck!

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #25  

cqaigy, I don't know if the have to be changed often or not. I have never had a core aerator. I borrowed a neighbors John Deere and one of the disc that hold the spoons had broken and been rewelded to the shaft. The spoons themselves seem OK. Even if they break, I can reweld pretty easily.

JJ, I do have a welder and if I make a fixture to hold the spoon at the start welding, I think the welding would be easier. I am not a trained welder, but this may not be too critical.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I would like to find out someone's experience with the spoons. Also do I need wheels? I am leaning away from then, but will do it if necessary.

Bob Rip

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #26  

I looked at a picture of the PT plug aerator. It looks like the spoons bolt on. Also there is a shield over and behind the spoons, I am guessing to protect the driver from plugs flying out. I could not seem to attach their picture but you can find it at power-trac.com under products then attachments.

Bob Rip

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #27  

Yes, the spoons are bolted on for replacement as needed. Also each has a seperate zerk fitting which is a real plus.
I have many hours on my core aerator and can only say that it is a very fine attachment. Works best if the soil is a little moist for discharging the plug.
PJ

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #28  

Does the grease going into the zerke fitting help release the dirt plug or something else?

Bob Rip

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #29  

Have you had to replace any spoons yet after many hours?

Bob Rip

/ SPIKE AERATOR VERSUS PLUGGER CORE AERATOR #30  

The grease goes into the spindle not the spoon.
No, so far all spoons are in very good shape. Just prior to use I take a long handled screw driver and clear each plug from dirt.
PJ