PT 422 or 425

/ PT 422 or 425 #1  

bbabineau

Silver Member
I have never had a tractor and I am considering purchase of either of the above. My intended use is brush mowing a 1+ acre area, post hole digging, leveling for terraced garden and general yard cleanup. We have recently purchased a retirement 3 acre property and have a number of chores to do. Local dealers have suggested a 25HP utility tractor (green or blue) but I am interested in the PT. Can I ask for some input on above uses. The area to be mowed is up to a 20% slope. Terracing will require excavation of up to two feet of some slopes to build retaining walls. Lots of post holes to do fencing. Finally I will need to traverse some creek area to access some of the areas. Comments please.

Bob

/ PT 422 or 425 #2  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We have a PT425. It is an excellent brush mower. You can see some videos of it in action at my website. Just click on my little animated tractor icon in my signature and it will take you to my web page. Then click on the videos link.

We do not have a post hole digger, however, when the time comes to put in our fence, we will be getting one. Everyone reports that it works better than a conventional tractor with a 3PT hitch because the Power Trac can put down force on the auger since it is mounted to the FEL arms.

For excavating, you may want to consider a mini-hoe for loosening the material and a bucket to scoop it up and haul it away. Bucket choice is wide, as they offer a large light material bucket(my favorite attachment), a small heavy duty bucket, a 4-in-1 bucket and a grapple bucket. There may be some that I missed? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

May I ask what area of the country you are near?

/ PT 422 or 425
Moss Road
Thanks for the welcome and your comments. Your web site is awesome and I know I will spend lots of time reviewing it in depth to evaluate your experiences.
I am located in California and would use the PT at our retirement home on the Central Coast.
One question, you mentioned that the 52" lift could be a problem when loading a pickup from the side. The literature refers to a 60" lift for the 425. Is this a change in the newer model? Would the 60" be adequate to load a pickup?

Thanks

Bob

/ PT 422 or 425 #4  
I loaded a bunch of attachments in the back of my 4x4 F150 and easily got them all out with my 425 and the pallet forks.

Loading from the side would be more difficult tho. You would have to be careful.

Picture

Edited oversize in-line picture

/ PT 422 or 425 #5  
Yes, the newer models have a 60" lift. Ours is only 54". The problem is not that you cannot clear the side of the truck, but that when you go to dump, the bucket will come down and hit the side of the truck. Several people have mentioned that if you use a 4-in-1 bucket, you can just open the jaws and it will dump out the bottom of the bucket. No need to tilt the bucket down to dump. Problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PT 422 or 425 #6  
I think your making a wise choice, I can't believe how versatile my PT is, I have the 422 and if I could have afforded it I would have chose the 425. Can't say that I have found a situation where I miss the 3 horses, but as they often say more is more. I did get the trencher, which I'm able to use for grading work as well as post hole digging, I don't suppose the hole is as clean as the post hole digger would create but its been close enough for me.. I'm in San Jose, Ca if your in the neighborhood your welcome to stop by.

/ PT 422 or 425
I currently live in Alamo and may take you up on the offer to have a look at your PT sometime soon. Need to do a bit more research and sell a home here before we are ready to make the move to the Central Coast, but certainly will send you a note later to see what can be arranged.

Thanks

Bob

/ PT 422 or 425 #8  
<font color="blue">( There may be some that I missed? )</font>

2 yard red fuel oil bucket

/ PT 422 or 425 #9  
Yeah, I missed that one. Don't think it's a factory option, yet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif