FInally mowed sideways on the slope

/ FInally mowed sideways on the slope #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
I finally felt comfortable enough with my 425 to mow my slope sideways instead of going up and down.

With the tall ROPS and heavy lid on my PT, I just could not get the same comfortable feeling that I obviously did with My Ventrac 4200, but going slowly the PT handled it just fine.

Funny how at 15 degrees, I start getting this uncomfortable feeling. I think it is the combination of "seeing" the slope that I am mowing and my balance point where the little alarm starts going off in my head.

I attached a little slope meter to see where the danger spots were and realized that I am only mowing 15 degrees average with a couple of small 18 degree spots.

Running at full throttle, the PT's steering can be a tiny bit jerky, so I was really cautious about how I turned when entering and exiting the slope.

Here is a pic of the slope I cut

(don't laugh)

Attachments

• 662280-Front Slope.JPG
    662280-Front Slope.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 392
   / FInally mowed sideways on the slope
Here's where I put the slope meter

Attachments

• 662282-Slope Meter.JPG
    662282-Slope Meter.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 322
And here's a close up of the complex mounting technique that I used...

No bailing wire required /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 662283-Slope Complex Mounting.JPG
    662283-Slope Complex Mounting.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 279
   / FInally mowed sideways on the slope #4  
The more hours you accumulate the more comfortable you'll become. A day will come when you are mowing that area and it will be a funny thought will pop into your mind....jeez, I remember when I thought this was tricky.....You do need to be careful about turning on a slope as the articulation steering becomes a concern(as in 2 wheels off the ground!)....Had to use the Farmall today and I remember when I first used the PT and how thankful I was for power steering! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...and how slow I took the slopes!

/ FInally mowed sideways on the slope #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I finally felt comfortable enough with my 425 to mow my slope sideways (don't laugh) )</font>

Evillol.gif
Evillol.gif
Evillol.gif

<font color="red"> Here is a little test for you:

Get the PT sideways on the steepest
Evillol.gif
part of the slope. Turn off the ignition, set the brake, and dismount. Now, from the uphill
Evillol.gif
side, grab the ROPS and try as hard as you can to tip the PT over!! Not only won't it tip over, but I'll bet you can't even begin to lift it off its uphill
Evillol.gif
wheels!! Now get back on, and mow without any further concern!!
AAA_smiley__.jpg

PS: Have a rememberable Memorial Day!!

FlagWave.gif

</font>

Wouldn't the downhill side be a little more fun? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks 14.

On Memorial day, my family does a "Hug a Vet." routine.

(We all hug each other, including my Mom...)

We're a mixed bag with Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and even the Coast Guard, (we tease my dad about that one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

All have seen war duty except me. I guess I was lucky one being the youngest.

/ FInally mowed sideways on the slope #7  
Consider this my hug to all the VET's out there...I'll hug my dad later on the phone......where would we be without them!!?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ FInally mowed sideways on the slope #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( even the Coast Guard, (we tease my dad about that one )</font>

<font color="red"> I was in the USCG.

Tell your dad to be proud, and remember these facts:

1) Anyone can sail a big ship in deep water! A typical CG Cutter is only 311' long, but they go out to sail around the middle of the North Atlantic for 30 days at a time, even near Greenland in mid-winter, to rescue any big ship that gets in trouble!

2) In WWII the CG performed convoy duty!

3) Any WWII Soldier or Marine will tell you that the worst time was the ride in the landing craft, and how lucky they were to have made it to the beach without being killed! But after that load hit the beach, the CG crew of the landing craft went back to the ship to reload, and make that harrowing trip to the enemy beach over, and over, and over, again!!

4) Of all the American services in WWII the USCG had the highest death rate!!

5) In Vietnam many CG patroled the rivers in small craft!

6) In peacetime the USCG isn't sitting around waiting for a war, they are out there enforcing the law and saving lives!!

</font>

/ FInally mowed sideways on the slope #9  
I start feeling uncomfortable going across solope that exceed 20%, which I do quite often on my property . Usually the slope is less than 25% , at the steeper slopes the front has a tendancy to slide unless you lift the mower slightly. Like fourteen said I think there is little chance of upsetting even without the wheels reversed.

/ FInally mowed sideways on the slope #10  
Amen brother. I was in the USCG also and my son is currently at the USCG Academy. Allot smarter than the old man. This week he's on summer deployment on a 210 doing drug interdiction. Next week is to Europe on the Eagle for a 4 week sailing/training deployment.
Very interesting the evolution not that the CG really has a home with Homeland Security.
To all you PT owner Vets...... Ooh-Rah