PT422 light gone bad

/ PT422 light gone bad #1  

MuncyBob

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 422
It's still under warranty so no big deal, but these things are sealed and I guess they probably aren't cheap...has anybody seen lights that would be adaptable to the PT that could be user serviced? I'm thinking maybe I should get a pair to have on hand since I sometimes run after dark and it gets pretty dark out in the country with no other lights on around you!

/ PT422 light gone bad #2  
I got one from Northern Tool (northerntool.com). It is item #16300. It list for $8.99 and is on sale on line at $6.99 as of right now. It is almost identical to the ones provided by PT. I put one on the back of my ROPS so that I can see where I am going when going backwards.

Is that cheap enough for you.

Bob Rip

/ PT422 light gone bad
I guess they are cheaper than I thought....but that halogen one caught my eye too! Now I'm spending as much as I thought I would initially... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanx!

/ PT422 light gone bad #4  
Watch your wattage. The PT generator is only 15 amps on the 422. I don't know what the 425 is. Thats only 180 watts at 3600 RPM. It's much less at idle. The stock light is 25 watts about 2 amps. Keep your revs up if you run a lot of lights.

Bob Rip

/ PT422 light gone bad #5  
<font color="blue"> ( it gets pretty dark out in the country with no other lights on around you! )

</font>
<font color="red"> See #398632 - 03/26/04 10:21 PM in PT-425 PROS & cons?? !!

Wide_TBN.jpg

AAA_smiley__.jpg

</font>

/ PT422 light gone bad #6  
The bulb pops out of the rubber housing pretty easily. Just pop it out and take it to TSC or NAPA and they can match it. Should be under $10.00.

/ PT422 light gone bad #7  
I know this is an old thread. As luck would have it, one of the lights on my new machine just popped as I'm about to go help someone do work inside their 8' culvert (i.e. model railroad tunnel). In the dark when loading last night I couldn't discern how to access bulb. If I figure it out I'll get part number and post in the parts cross ref thread.

/ PT422 light gone bad #8  
Unless they have changed, the PT lights use a rubber housing and a sealed-beam bulb. You can use something like a screwdriver or a dull knife (table knife) to slide into the rubber housing around the bulb and pry it back. It may take using two, as you slide them around and work the lip on the rubber housing that is holding the bulb in.

/ PT422 light gone bad #9  
Or just upgrade to LED lights... :)

One of mine burned out pretty quickly as well. I used a $12 pair from HF. Two years later, I went with LED lights. Today, I would just go straight for the LEDs. They use less power, have more lumens, and better illumination.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT422 light gone bad #10  
Or just upgrade to LED lights...

+++1

And while you are at it, mount the new lights on the front edge of the ROPS. They lights are almost useless mounted where they are, since any implement you have blocks the light.