Throttle adjustment.

/ Throttle adjustment. #1  

BillCroasmun

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-180
On my PT180 I can only bring the throttle lever down about 3/4 of the way in the slot. Last night I looked under the 'hood' and saw that the speed control lever is being stopped by the adjustment screw. Is this normal for factory settings? What are the downsides of opening it up further? Will it be noticeable to a non-mechanic if I open it up too far? Any advise would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Throttle adjustment. #2  
Don't do it. The engine has a maximum speed rating. Raising this can significantly reduce engine life. I suspect it will void your warranty. Of course it's your engine. Race cars only get a few hours of operation between engine rebuilts.

Bob Rip

/ Throttle adjustment.
Does the 3/4 limit seem normal then? I was just concerned that it wasn't adjusted right from the factory more so than trying to "squeeze" a little extra out of the engine.

/ Throttle adjustment. #4  
That's about where mine is.

Bob Ripley

/ Throttle adjustment. #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this normal for factory settings? )</font>

<font color="red"> YES!

The slot in the control panel allows more movement than is needed by the throttle linkage. Just verify that moving the control panel knob moves the throttle linkage all the way from the idle stop to the full speed stop.
</font>

/ Throttle adjustment. #6  
Our PT425 with the Kohler stops about 1/4 inch from the end of the slot. As others have mentioned, the slot is larger than the travel that the linkage needs. If you are really concerned that the engine is not getting up to speed, look into buying a tiny tachometer and then you can tell exactly what engine RPMs you are running. You can then paint some fine hash lines next to your throttle lever for quick reference or just mount the tach where you can see it.

/ Throttle adjustment. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( look into buying a tiny tachometer )</font>

<font color="red"> This is a tach that would work: Tiny Tach . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font>

/ Throttle adjustment.
Thanks everyone for all the help!

Fourteen... Great link! If I decide to add a tach I can fix my hour meter problem as well!

/ Throttle adjustment. #9  
<font color="red"> You are most welcome!!

If you do get a Tiny Tach, be sure to post how the install worked and how you like it!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font>

/ Throttle adjustment. #10  
Which model TinyTach is correct for the Robin-Subaru engine in the 425's?

Pequeajim had asked this some months back, as did I but I don't recall ever seeing an answer.