422 versus 425

/ 422 versus 425 #1  

Phil_VA

Tractor
None right now...
Hi All,

I've been looking at Compact Tractors for the last couple of months and came across Power-Trac through this forum. Everyone here sounds very happy with their machines and seeing what they can do is making me rethink my original plan of a regular CUT.

What are the primary differences between the 422 and 425? This is what I've been able to gather so far:

22HP versus 25HP
52" versus 60" lift
No ROPS versus ROPS (is a ROPS available for the 422?)

Other than that, they look very similar, including the 800lb lift capacity. Almost all of the attachments are the same between the two models.

This would be for homeowner use only so I wouldn't need a commercial warranty.

I'm sure Power-Trac doesn't just increase the price by $2,500 to get a couple of HP and a commercial warranty. What am I missing? Is there anyone on the board that regretted getting the 422 and thought they should have gone with the 425?

I'll post another message with some thoughts on projects I'd be doing with the PT, mostly loader/grading/digging work. I have a ZTR mower that I use for the grass I won't be replacing.

Thanks!
- Phil

/ 422 versus 425 #2  
The last I looked at the factory the new 425 is now 8" longer than the new 422. The new 422 has only one stearing cylinder located on the left hand side. Where as the 425 has 2 one on eather side. I assume that the 425 Rops will still fit the 422. It cost $500 at the factory. Some one had a used ROP on PT's web site.

/ 422 versus 425 #3  
I forgot to mention the 30% stronger wheel motors that the new 425 has. NICE!!!!

/ 422 versus 425 #4  
I too have been going through the same evaluation. Besides the items that you list, from what I can see there are the following differences:
1. Weight 1260 for 422 and 1387 for 425
2. Length 83 vs 90
3. Wheelbase 48 vs 56
4. PTO same 8GPM at 2500 PSI
5. ROPS optional on 422
6. Speed 8MPH vs 10 MPH
7. One inconsistency between the web site and PT brochure is the Hydraulic oil tank stated at 5 gallons in the brochure and 10 gallons on the web for the 422 while the 425 is at 10 gallons on the web and the brochure.

I don't know if the difference is in the wheel motors or some other aspect of the machine but I as you think there has to be something that is attributed to the $2500 difference.

Perhaps those who recently purchased can give us feed back to help us make the final decision.

Bob

/ 422 versus 425 #5  
Stray snuck his reply in while I was typing and has answered some of my questions - the 30% more powerful wheel motors and the second steering cylinder certainly make up some of the difference. Thanks

bob

/ 422 versus 425 #6  
What advantage is there in having 2 steering cylinders??

/ 422 versus 425
Thanks for the welcome.

Anyone close to Leesburg, Virginia with a 422 or 425? I'm pretty close to the MD and WV borders so it could be closer looking outside VA.

-Phil

/ 422 versus 425 #9  
One of the cylinders is pushing. and one is pulling. Less effort is required. A larger single cylinder is required to do the same work.

/ 422 versus 425 #10  
Hi Phil. Previous discussions on the differences were here and also here

There have been no design changes to either model since these postings

Good luck!