Tazewell "Review"

/ Tazewell "Review" #1  

Spiffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
PT2445; several ag machines and classics
Tazewell \"Review\"

While on vacation I was able to make Tazewell [home of Power Trac] the last leg of our trip, and was very impressed.

18 hours of driving home somehow erased the name of the sales lady that took us through their showroom, but she was very friendly and no high-pressure sales of any sort. In fact, the only thing she suggested at all, "I do hope you have time for a test drive and the maintanence course" ...didn't have to twist my arm there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think she said the showroom we were in is new; it was much bigger than I'd expected for PTs, yet smaller than I imagined considering their mining history. It was bar-none the nicest showroom I've seen for any equipment...individual machines and attachments, as well as trailer packages, all neatly arranged including the side hill mower on it's own turf platform tilted at 45degrees [with the seat still level]. My wife was actually the one acting like a kid in a candy shop more so than me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since I already "knew" that the the T12 class 2430 seemed to be my "right tool for the job", they had one sent out to the testing grounds while we looked over all the toys [and my wife's list of potential tasks grew longer and longer]. The sales lady also asked what attachments to demo, but I thought the FEL and backhoe would give me enough feel for the machine.

Eddie [I think I have his name right] who's been a PT mechanic for over 10years took us out to the test area on a "bus" I think also built on site; not to mention their little scooter he rode up on.

They had dirt piles, rock piles, and roughly 1 acre plots marked out for digging, mowing, augers, ect. He gave me a quick demo with the dirt bucket then a once over of all the controls, then I got to play in the dirt! The machine handled well despite my fingers not being aclimated to joystick operation (I'd say less than hour and I'd feel like a pro, despite my triple lever instinct [didn't think about asking for a fork bucket, but I doubt that takes much aclimation either]).

After a couple buckets of dirt, I had to see how slow it would go, how fast it would go, and how sharp it would turn: no problem swinging it right between the dirtpile and the bus [I believe this was the point where Eddie told my wife that I scared him {actually unintentially in this case, contrary to some of my posts with vintage tractors}].

Finally, on to the hoe....this got interesting, the 2430 had a faulty valve [I thought perhaps in the controls, but Eddie thought the pressure control valve]. He said hydrualic problems [or any for that matter] seldom happen and he had never had problems of any sort on a demo; I was inclined to believe him on both. He also said their help line has never been unable to find the solution [I take this as a challenge /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif].

Anyway, he offered to let us watch him fix it, but thought I might like to try the 2445, which he preferred anyway....[yeah, twist my arm /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif]. If I become a PT owner, this may be the dumbest [or smartest] thing I ever did; while I enjoyed the T12, the T18 somehow just felt right [on the hoe I again actually had to think about the joystick positions, but everything ran smooth]. The 2445 seemed to get in almost as tight [supposedly I again scared Eddie just a bit] as the 2430, but just felt right, and, as Eddie pointed out, the 45HP engine does sound cool too.

While the 24 series had the lift and hoe capability I wanted, I wasn't sure about the center of gravity, but it felt as stable as any tractor I've ever used. Actually Edie said that if you treat the 24's with the same caution on side hills as an equivant sized wide-front tractor you should have no trouble at all. Also, I've used "quicktach" bucket changing systems before, but the PT's is too slick.

For the maintenance course, I've never met anyone with Eddie's sense to neither talk under us while still pointing out the critical areas [somehow he figured out I knew about greasing zerks, and changing filters etc.] nor try to drown me with techno-babble when I asked tough questions.

After perhaps an hour testing and maintenance with Eddie, I'm [and my wife] now "PT certified"...actually, the certificate is for 2% off a new machine, but no complaints there! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, I looked both machines over for weak spots, and just couldn't find any. I'm sure you could find a way to break one, but they sure look pretty tough and I do like the way it handles. Two thumbs up! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tazewell "Review" #2  
Re: Tazewell \"Review\"

That was a well written review. Please consider posting it on the "Review" section of Tractorbynet.

Bob Rip

/ Tazewell "Review"

Thanks Bob!

After reading your post I did try pasting it to a review, but since I didn't want add confusion by listing models or purchase price and date, it wouldn't accept it. Maybe I'll think of a creative way around that or maybe somebody already has an idea of how to do it?

/ Tazewell "Review" #4  

Great job on the review. The sales lady probably was Kristi and the maintenance guy was probably Terry.
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the people and machines.
PJ

/ Tazewell "Review"

Thanks for jogging my memory PJ!

Sales may have been Kristy. I checked the certificate and it was Eddie who did the training, but Kristy [if my mind's not simply responding to your suggestion /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif] didn't put her own name anywhere. Oh well, great people anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif