PT Business

/ PT Business #1  

Spiffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
PT2445; several ag machines and classics
This issue has been pretty well covered in other threads about various tractors, but the PT being it's own animal, thought I should ask the question here.

I have plenty of projects to justify a 2430 or 2445 with backhoe, but without making some outside profits as well, no way to justify the short term costs [even used]. For the business option, I already know about insurance, interest, maintainence, and other traditional overhead, but still have some questions.

The first quandry: around here everyone has a cousin or BIL or whatever with farm tractors and a bushhog [a job I hate anyway]. Also plenty of Bobcat skidsteers with about as many attachments [though few have any attachments] as PTs; not to mention plenty of "heavy" dirtwork equipment. In my mind the PT can squeeze nicely between everything, but would potential customers see this or just continue to go with the "traditional" options?

I was thinking say 10-20 hours a week just make the payments seem reasonalbe, but insurance would take the first big bite. I may be in a position were a career change sounds favorable [long story, don't ask /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif], but with the ground frozen for potentianly 5 monthes of the year; I'm not sure this makes sense either.

Finally, since my wife is a teacher, I could maybe get one cheap pair of hands over the summer, but not sure if this is a good idea [yes, we've discussed this; we enjoy working together, but you always hear negatives of these arrangements].

Well, I'm guessing it won't quite come out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but if anyone has advice on any of my questions, I'd love to hear it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PT Business #2  
Spiffy,

As a wild guess, I'd say that you might hope at best to defray some of your purchase and operating costs with that sort of arrangement.

Since you enjoy working together, 10 to 20 hours a week doesn't seem excessive. I suspect the relationship killers are the 60-80 hour weeks of so many small family startups. As long as your economic survival doesn't depend on it, you can give it a try and bail out if tensions increase.

I'd recommend thinking of the whole idea as subsidizing a hobby and getting paid a bit to hone your skills.

Good luck!

Gravy

/ PT Business
Thanks Gravy! Defraying the purchase costs is exactly what I was thinking.

Of course, a small part of me still thinks it would be fun to jump in "with both feet". Since my wife has school starting after 3 months each year, maybe we could even go full time [with her helping only during summers] without getting too tired of each other; but then I'd either have to get into a "summers off" field too or figure out something else for the winter monthes.

Oh well, right now a few things would have to fall in place either way, but I sure do appreciate the advice!