Valve stem "got me"

/ Valve stem "got me" #1  

Phils

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT-422
Valve stem \"got me\"

But it didn't get me bad! I have been expecting a problem with the inner valve stem on the left front and this weekend, while clearing a huge and heavy patch of blackberries at a friend's, the buildup on the wheel motor caused the stem to leak. At least it wasn't so bad we couldn't keep working, we just had to journey to the garage about a dozen times to refill that tire.

Because of the posts here, I knew it could happen and when the tire went flat, I went straight to it and wiggled, hearing "hissssssss". My friend was impressed that I could locate the source of the flat so quickly. I've picked up a metal stem that I'll install backwards tonight, and had the tire shop break the bead off of the rim on that side this morning.

I did have one other flat 2 weeks ago. Since I had put that "bulletproof sealer" from Gemplers in all the tires I was a little disappointed to come out the morning after a hard day of stump removing and find the right rear flat. I aired it up, as I needed the PT for an immediate job, and noticed a large puncture in the sidewall (half-moon shape, maybe 3/4" long). That was a tire with 7psi (per suggestions here). I don't know how much I put in, since I figured it to be flat later again.

It hasn't gone down at all. Guess that stuff works, maybe just has to have a little higher pressure than 7 to work.

The two small tires on the front of the brushhog have seen some incredibly hard brush, and no leaks in them either.

That stuff was expensive but seems to be paying for itself, although it's difficult to measure "how many flats I HAVEN'T gotten".

Phil

/ Valve stem "got me" #2  
Re: Valve stem \"got me\"

Those sidewall cuts are trouble. Most tire shops will not fix them. Those shops that do try and fix them, will charge you more than normal. If you can find some of those burn on patches, they would stick to any rubber products. I would also keep a spare tire and rim handy, before you break down in the back woods, far from home.

/ Valve stem "got me" #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've picked up a metal stem that I'll install backwards tonight, and had the tire shop break the bead off of the rim on that side this morning.)</font>

<font color="red"> The easy permanent fix is to weld the inside valve stem hole closed! Just cut off the old stem, weld up the hole, and touchup paint it! I had mine done for $20 for all 4 wheels!</font>

/ Valve stem "got me" #4  

<font color="red">The easy permanent fix is to weld the inside valve stem hole closed! </font>

Went to tire shop and they put the valve stems in backwards for free!! Talk about easy, and the price was right. Oh ya and it can be reversed if you can think of a reason to do so. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Valve stem "got me" #5  

<font color="red"> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif With the tire valve reversed, don't you have to remove the tire to fill it!!??!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you weld it, all you have to do is fill the tire with the desired amount of air, then quickly weld the hole closed!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font>

/ Valve stem "got me"

You people crack me up. (I would've said "you guys..." but I'm trying to be politically correct). But anyway, that reversed metal stem fixed my problem. I hadn't thought about welding the holes closed.... but that would've meant removing all 4 tires from all 4 wheels (to avoid burning the rubber) and that would've meant WAY too much work for me. So far I've spent $0 and a total of 1/2 hr of effort.

As mentioned tho, if I change my mind and want a valve stem on that side of the wheel, I can have it with little effort. If I never planned on hauling the PT somewhere else in my pickup, I'd prob'ly do the reversed wheel thing, therefore needing a valve stem where I've blocked it off.

Phil

/ Valve stem "got me" #7  

<font color="red">With the tire valve reversed, don't you have to remove the tire to fill it!!??!! </font>

Ya that has me alittle stumped for now. I'm hoping they'll be self filling..or is that self fulfilling? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Valve stem "got me" #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm trying to be politically correct

<font color="red"> WHY!! </font>

that would've meant removing all 4 tires from all 4 wheels (to avoid burning the rubber)

<font color="red"> No need!! No danger to the tire!! </font>

I'd prob'ly do the reversed wheel thing, therefore needing a valve stem where I've blocked it off.

<font color="red"> With the reversed wheels the valve can be reached from the 'in' side!!

If you do 'reverse', you'll never want to go back!!

Won't the PT with reversed wheels just climb over the truck's wheel wells??</font>

)</font>

/ Valve stem "got me"

<font color="red"> " Won't the PT with reversed wheels just climb over the truck's wheel wells?? "
</font>

I gotta admit that I hadn't even thought of that? Anybody with reversed wheels carry their PT in their pickup?

Phil

/ Valve stem "got me" #10  

If it climbed over the wheel wells, just the outer few inches of each tire would be supporting the load, which is exactly what we want to avoid with the wheels reversed. This is the exact condition that would put max stress on the wheel motors.