Marks481

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 422 (2005)
This looks like good news:

Weight: 2331
Pieces: 3

EVENT DATE TIME LOCATION TRAILER EVENT DATA
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARRIVE 06/23 09:03 PROVIDENCE , RI 262265 OVNT
DISPATCH 06/23 04:18 PHILADELPHIA , PA 262265 OVNT
ARRIVE 06/23 01:30 PHILADELPHIA , PA 262265 OVNT
DISPATCH 06/22 20:00 RICHMOND , VA 262265 OVNT
ARRIVE 06/22 01:10 RICHMOND , VA 287306 OVNT
DISPATCH 06/21 20:00 BLUEFIELD , WV 287306 OVNT
PICKED UP 06/21 13:49 BLUEFIELD , WV 254873 OVNT
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only took 3 different trucks to get here (hope that means it didn't get too battered in shipment). It is killing me now; I am stuck at work all day and my new PT422 is waiting for me at the shipping terminal (and I was on vacation until this morning, so I could have picked it up at any time... It killed me that it sat all day yesterday at the terminal in Richmond.)

PT 422, ROPS, 4n1, Minihoe, 9" auger, 48" deck. Shipping was $780 for 700 miles. I came very close to just driving down myself and picking it up, but that would have meant paying 5% VA sales tax, so I would definitely have not saved any money.

I put in the order last wednesday. I vacilated over cancelling it when PTRich's PT425 became possibly available for purchase, but not really with the attachments I wanted (Not to mention the problems that Ben is having with his used 1418 scaring me a bit).

/ New PT422 almost here #2  
As has been mentioned before, be sure and take a gallon or two of gas as your PT was likely "test driven" a few times at the different terminals.

Phil

/ New PT422 almost here
yep, looked at the shipping record and noticed that since it got unloaded three times that probably quite a few people got a crack at driving it around.

/ New PT422 almost here #4  
Congratulations Tim, let us know how it turns out at the pick up point. Take pictures if you can. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
PJ

/ New PT422 almost here
Well I got it home. It only had 0.6 hrs on the clock, so not much joy riding occurred (although the guy who drove it of the dock seemed WAY to proficient... maybe it is just all that forklift driving...) Put it in my 6x10 landscape trailer... not much room to spare, so they loaded the mower deck in the back of my pickup truck. Forks came in handy to unload it... almost broke it by accidently tilting down instead of lowering... thought the pallet was going to slide off.

This is definitely built like a tank... a fair amount of paint scraped/rubbed off in places from transport, so I need to do some touch up. No real damage (although I would be pissed if this was a car I bought instead of a vehicle I intend to rub in the dirt).

More importantly... MY PTO DOESN't WORK! Am I doing something wrong here? I tried both the mower and the PHD. Shouldn't they get hydraulics when you flip the PTO switch? I get nothing... no spinning mower, no spinning PTO. What am I missing?

Otherwise, I am going to pull out my multitester and see if the PTO solenoid is getting juice... assuming I can find a convenient attachment point to tap into the pigtales on the solenoid.

/ New PT422 almost here #6  
It could be one of the 2 wires connecting to the PTO solenoid. One of mine came off during shipment and I was just about to pull the relief valves when I noticed a missing wire. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Congrats and welcome to the PT Club!

/ New PT422 almost here
Is it just me or does Power Trac order their metal in two thicknesses: very thick, and super thick? The thing is definitely built like a tank. I can see their founder saying "I DON'T WANT TO USE ANY PLASTIC ON THIS THING!". The access plate over the back of the dashboard is 1/4" steel (where anybody else would just snap in a plastic plate).

I saw a JD 4320 (?) this week, and thought "that is a nice looking tractor", and then noticed when I walked up to it that the cover over the engine was made of plastic, and was cracked where something had dropped on it. Guess I don't have to worry about that.

I notice that the line from the gas tank is still tygon hose, leading to the engine mounted fuel pump which is right next to the muffler. I guess I will know what to change when vapor lock starts rearing its ugly head.

/ New PT422 almost here #8  
The "bad" part about the way these things are built is that ANYTHING you might accidently run into around your place will be damaged, but the PT will have just scratched paint at the worst. I almost backed into the side of my pickup once, so far, and try especially hard to be watchful when around any vehicle or building.

And I was one having vaporlock problems. We haven't had our nomal 100 degree days yet this summer, but so far it hasn't happened since I pulled the fuel line away from contact with hydraulic hoses and wrapped a length of 3/8" ID fuel hose over the stock fuel hose. I could've disconnected the stock fuel hose and slid it through the larger hose, but (being eager to get back to "work") I just split the larger hose with a cutter and wrapped it over the clear fuel line. So far, so good. Spent a long warm day with the brushhog clearing blackberry bushes at a friends and it never even coughed (first indication of vaporlock). Of course, the day had one minor problem, see the thread Valve Stem "got me"

Only going to be a high of 86 this weekend too, so I still won't be able to give the ultimate vaporlock test but I'm not complaining about our Northern California weather so far this year! Best we've ever had.

Phil

/ New PT422 almost here #9  
These things have the versatility of a swiss army knife with the toughness of a Sherman tank!

/ New PT422 almost here #10  
I called PT and the green paint is Sherwin Williams automotive # F-77G13