Stump Grinder Motor - How not to fix

/ Stump Grinder Motor - How not to fix #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
As I have mentioned on a previous post, I damaged the stump grinder shaft seal by catching a tow strap in it and wrapping it around the shaft. The seal immediately started leaking. I decided to fix it my self and ordered a seal.

Taking the blade off was fairly difficult. I ended up putting two log splitting wedges (one behind the shaft and one in front of the shaft) and alternately hitting them with a claw hammer. This actauly seemed to work pretty well. (see attached picture). I then unbolted the motor and removed the bolts on the back of the motor. Pulling the motor apart was not difficult, but the front seal did not come out. I figured I would use a socket to drive it out. I ended up picking a socket that was too big. The seal came out alright, but it took a ring of the motor housing with it. I called up PT and Keith checked and found that the front motor housing, the outside shaft and the inside shaft are a matched set. So I ordered a new motor. About $275 dollars. I could have had the motor repaired and shipped for around $50. Well this was not the first thing I broke, and it probably won't be the last.

"The wise man learns from the mistakes of others, the fool does not even learn from his own."

So be the wise man.

Bob Rip

Attachments

• 697213-P7160062.JPG
    697213-P7160062.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 205
   / Stump Grinder Motor - How not to fix #2  
Bob,

Thanks for the "how not to"! Could well save me some $ and aggravation someday!

Dave

/ Stump Grinder Motor - How not to fix
That's my hope.

Bob Rip