Mowing Finish mower replacement wheels?

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #1  

Marks481

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 422 (2005)
I have read several posts from people saying they were dissatisfied with the rear wheels on their finish mowers, and were planning to replace them. Has anybody actually replaced them, and where did you get teh replacement tires?

I notice that when I am mowing that the hard plastic rear wheels on the mower will plow the grass if I turn the mower when it is not moving (since the articulating motion when you turn the wheel causes the front mounted mower to try to slide sideways on the grass).

I recognize that this is a matter of experience, as I become used to the mower, I will leanr to not crank the wheel over when I am not moving, but it still seems that some rounder, rubber wheels would be a better choice.

My only other problem with the mower is that it seems like the hot exhaust from the muffler is leaving brown spots on my lawn. It is unfortunate that the muffler exhausts straight down instead of straight back from the tractor.

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #2  
In reference to the muffler that is burning the grass, just weld or clamp a 90 degree elbow to the outlet.

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #4  
Those wheels are even worse on gravel. Every time I'm anywhere that sells wheels, I try and find rubber tired replacements. So far, no luck.

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #6  
Gosh, I've looked in there a dozen or more times and not seen those. Maybe it's a regional stock thing, but I'll check again for sure the next time I'm in there.

Thanks, and how do you like them compared to the originals?

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #7  
I have no idea whether they would have the wheels you want or not, but our Northern Tool store sure has lots of different wheels in stock.

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #8  
I put them on so that I could get the deck lower. I volunteer to cut grass at our local RC Flying field and like to get the grass as low as possible. They work great. I have 60 hours on mine with no problems.

I also replaced the front wheels with a rubber set that I got from Terry and they made a WORLD of difference. On my hilly yard, the pneumatic tires would pop off every other cut. Thanks PT for doing something about that.

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #9  
So, the rear replacements are smaller diameter than the originals, then? I don't know if that will work for us.

Regarding the fronts, we had the same problems. I finally replaced them with tubed, two piece ball bearing go kart wheels on both mowers. We haven't had a mower flat since.

/ Finish mower replacement wheels? #10  
<font color="red">tubed, two piece ball bearing go kart wheels </font>

Do you have a picture of those? Can i ask what you paid for the go kart wheels?