To ROPS or not to ROPS

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #11  
I like the protection from rollover, sun, rain, bird crap and falling objects that the ROPS provides, plus all my trees are trimmed to walk under so I think I'll leave mine on. I do know of a fellow who has an older PT without a ROPS who has survived for many years, so to each his own. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #12  
For me, some of the "falling objects" have been provoked by the ROPS itself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I must get out and trim the big trees more often. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #13  
Boy, Jim... I'd leave that ROPS on if it were me. The ROPS is pretty light. With only two bolts(one in each side) I am able to filp it forward and set it back up again. I flip it up and then hand it off to my wife while I put the bolts back in. I don't think it weighs 100 pounds total. If the unit is that close to feeling tippy, I think I would look at the suggestions of adding weight down low. Perhaps you could go on the donut diet, and compensate by adding weight in the driver's seat like I did! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #14  
I had the same problem on a hill I mow before and after I got a ROPS. After I reversed the wheels the tipping feeling completely disappeared. All that weight rolling on top of you without a ROPS could be fatal.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After I reversed the wheels the tipping feeling completely disappeared. )</font>

Evillol.gif
AAA_smiley__.jpg
Evillol.gif

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #16  
I am making this post from a view point most have not seem .I worked on a Rescue Squad/EMS Heavy Rescue Team for over twelve years in mountain country .We trained for tractor and equipment accidents ,thanks graceouslly to one of our local tractor/equipment dealerships. Presently I am a owner/operator of a Kubota 3710 with a 681 loader and a Bush Hog 5070 7" foot blade .I learned to drive on a tractor logging /timber cutting operation for my dad when I was old enough to reach the pedals and this was before ROPS . I am telling you all this to give you my experince level .I myself, have had some close calls over the years.From my experince every call I responded to without a ROPS resulted in a fatality . Please do not remove your ROPS and wear your seat belt.The belt is part of the ROPS system and will keep you away from the equipment and keep you on the tractor instead of being thrown off and in the path of the rolling machine .Without ROPS here is what happens .If the tractor rears up and rolls backwards you will be wrapped over the wheel and across the hood .If it rolls to the side and you are able to get off which is highly unlikely you still have to get clear of the tractor and equipment .I know weird things happen ,but your best odds is wear that belt and don't remove the ROPS. Trust me it is not a plesant thing pulling the mangled body of a neighbor or aquantaince out from under a machine and having to place them in the mourge . One gentlman suggested adding weight to the wheels to lower the center of gravity I agree ,plus better traction on hills,great ideal . Enjoy your equipment ,but be safe and rember if you don't feed it it won't eat it !!!

Last edited:
   / To ROPS or not to ROPS #18  
I am located in Caldwell County ,NORTH CAROLINA

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #19  
I am making this post from a view point most have not seem .I worked on a Rescue Squad/EMS Heavy Rescue Team for over twelve years in mountain country .We trained for tractor and equipment accidents ,thanks graceouslly to one of our local tractor/equipment dealerships. Presently I am a owner/operator of a Kubota 3710 with a 681 loader and a Bush Hog 5070 7" foot blade .I learned to drive on a tractor logging /timber cutting operation for my dad when I was old enough to reach the pedals and this was before ROPS . I am telling you all this to give you my experince level .I myself, have had some close calls over the years.From my experince every call I responded to without a ROPS resulted in a fatality . Please do not remove your ROPS and wear your seat belt.The belt is part of the ROPS system and will keep you away from the equipment and keep you on the tractor instead of being thrown off and in the path of the rolling machine .Without ROPS here is what happens .If the tractor rears up and rolls backwards you will be wrapped over the wheel and across the hood .If it rolls to the side and you are able to get off which is highly unlikely you still have to get clear of the tractor and equipment .I know weird things happen ,but your best odds is wear that belt and don't remove the ROPS. Trust me it is not a plesant thing pulling the mangled body of a neighbor or aquantaince out from under a machine and having to place them in the mourge . One gentlman suggested adding weight to the wheels to lower the center of gravity I agree ,plus better traction on hills,great ideal . Enjoy your equipment ,but be safe and rember if you don't feed it it won't eat it !!!

Very smart advice. Just like with vehicles seat belts save lives.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #20  
I have turned mt PT on its side three times with no injury. If I did not have the ROPS I would probably be dead.