To ROPS or not to ROPS

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
I had posted about a month back about the uneasy feeling of side mowing on my slope. I still have that feeling to this day. Just for kicks, I took the ROPS off the tractor and mowed the same slope. What a difference. I did not have to deal with that big heavy chunk of steel raising the CG of my tractor.

Now, I know about how the ROPS can "save my life" if I roll down the hill, but to be honest, the ROPS attached, on my hill, IMHO, makes my tractor PRONE to rolling over.

IF the tractor DID roll, and the ROPS was on, my worries would be more about those blades that continue to spin because PT has not shutoff switch for the PTO when you get out of your seat.

It is a tough decision, but I think I will leave it off during cutting season and put it back on when working in the woods, or in the fall.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #2  
Instead of removing the weight and protection from up top, why not add weight down low? That would lower the center of gravity as well, and leave the ROPS in place.

I've toyed with the idea of making easily removeable weights that would fit in the bottom of the engine compartment, and on the shelf between the front wheels. It would also be easy to make weights that would hook into the oval air slots on the back, and wheel weights, too. It seems like it would be pretty easy to add 300-400 lbs with a combination of methods.

I wouldn't want to keep a bunch of extra weight on all of the time - that might lead to excessive wear & tear. However, when working across the steeper slopes, I think the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages.

Of course, as Fourteen has pointed out once or twice, reversing the wheels helps, too. (But I don't know about adding a bunch of weight AND reversing wheels - that seems likely to break something...)

Dave

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #3  
I find that it is nice to have something to grab onto when mowing the side of the hill. I am pretty sure that my PT422 will handle a slope probably steeper then I am willing to give it a shot at. I don't think the extra 150# up high significantly shifts the COG, since the 1200# of the rest of the machine is obviously planted pretty close to the level of teh axles.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #4  
What do you hang on to if you don't have a ROPS? I can't imagine not having one.

Is the 150 lb figure accurate? My wife and I easily handled the ROPS on our PT-425. We didn't weigh it, and it's been awhile, but I would guess around 75 -- 100 lbs.

For more stability you could load the tires with windshield washer fluid. There are plenty of threads on how to do it on TBN.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #5  
150# was a WAG, haven't pulle dmine off. I just guessed based on reports that 2 poeple could handle it, but might be too much for one, and that it looks pretty substantial.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #6  
<font color="red">uneasy feeling of side mowing on my slope</font>

I'm kinda curious, was it just a feeling of impending doom or did your rig really start to lift on the up hill side. I wonder if the optical reinforcement of two uprights on the rops are what is giving you that uneasy feeling.

I've had my 422 start to lift up on side hills while mowing, but it was pretty gradual where the uphill front wheel would start to lift off of the ground. I pulled weight off of the mower deck to transfer to the front of the pt and brought the front wheel back in contact with the ground.

<font color="red">IF the tractor DID roll, and the ROPS was on, my worries would be more about those blades</font>

But if it did roll and the rops was OFF, all you would really be worried about is getting squashed by your tractor.

There sure are alot of articles in newpapers and such about people getting seriously hurt by their tractors from roll overs.
It's your call but, dang it, don't get hurt or worse

I think Terry said the one for the 425 weight in at around 125lb.

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #7  
<font color="blue"> I think Terry said the one for the 425 weight in at around 125lb. </font>

Hot dawg! We're stronger than we thought. I'll tell the wife. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #8  
<font color="red"> Have you tried the 'park and push test' yet??

Perhaps you could install outriggers like you see on South Seas canoes!! Long pipes with wheels on the downhill side, or long pipes with weights on the uphill side!!

Evillol.gif

</font>

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS
What do I hold on to?

Well, at first, I found it pretty uncomfortable not having the ROPS bar to hold on to, (kinda like going through withdraw...). But then, I used to cut this hill with my JD 445 and did not have anything to hold on to back then, so I just persevered. I found that after a couple of times cutting the slope, I really didn't miss it any more. Plus, I find that I sit back in the seat now unlike when I lean forward to grab the ROPS bar.

I want you guys to know that I am not criticizing the ROPS, but am just posting an observation. I cut my yard again yesterday and was happy with the non tippy feeling that I get with the ROPS off.

I think a ROPS with a removable lid would be a better solution. Also, one that is constructed of the same weight steel as say, a Kubota, or JD and not the heavy duty stuff like PT is using. while I appreciate all of the HD construction on this tractor, I think this is one area when they could rethink the design.

I don't think anyone complains about the strength of the JD, Kubota, Massey, etc ROPS and for the most part, their tractors are heavier than my PT?

Again, not being critical, why contribute to roll over just for the sake of being heavy duty?

/ To ROPS or not to ROPS #10  
I did not order the ROPS with my 422 mainly because we have several fruit trees that have low branches and I wanted to clear them...(I hang onto my otherwise useless arm rests)while I certainly can appreciate the added safety to having one attached, if you are VERY careful on slopes and take it VERY SLOW you should have no problems...and as 14 has pointed out that while it is possible I'm sure to tip the PT(as with any tractor) it's not as easy as you might think. I have to admit that wheels lifting do give me another gray hair now & then! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif