422 or 425

/ 422 or 425 #1  

Locomotive8

Tractor
2002 Bobcat Toolcat
Thanks guys for the help with my auger question.
I am trying to decide which PT would be better for me, the 422 or 425. I am a little short on funds so the 422 is more attractive, but don't want to second guess it after I purchase. I am going to use it to mow (grass and brush) and plant trees (planter power head) and grind stumps on around 10-15 acres. I am mainly asking if it is worth the extra $2500 for the 425. Thanks everyone!

/ 422 or 425 #2  
The PT-425 gives you an additional eight inches of lift height. That may not sound like much, but it works out to a better than 15% increase, and may make the difference between side loading a pickup or not.

PT seems to have gone to a single steering ram on the recent 422s. PT-425s have two steering rams. Scarg has a thread running regarding a failure he just experienced with his 422 in the steering area. Until time and/or a change resolves the single ram steering issue on the PT-422s, the design seems somewhat questionable.

I don't think you get a ROPS with a 422, unless you pay extra. The ROPS is essential in my mind. It provides safety, shade, and a hand hold, all of which are something I wouldn't be without.

The PT-425 is the smallest machine that carries a commercial warranty, and you get a little more horsepower.

There are probably other differences that I am not aware of.

I suggest the PT-425, especially considering the size of your property.

Edit: FWIW, We were considering a PT-422. During discussions with PT Sales, they claimed that mowing is the activity that puts the greatest load on the hydraulics and engine. That's 95% of what we use our PT-425 for, and I can't dispute what they said.

/ 422 or 425 #3  
I use my 422 on about 9 acres and have about 175 hours on it. I have not had any problems whatsoever(knock on wood). I know there were new talks about the single steering cylinder since the one guy had the failure and I may have thought different of the 422 if I read that when I purchased mine. But then again, you can read something bad about most products out there and everyone has different experiences (one guy loves his brand of truck while another hates it). I use my PT for lots of things but try not to abuse it since I need it to last a long time. People can make their modification like switching wheels, but I prefer not to because I think the manufacturers usually know a lot more then I do about their products (I know others like to make changes and don't criticize that and more power to you for doing it, I just prefer not to). I don't have the rops because of price and places I need to go have lower branches so I am very careful(most times) and do not to cut on steep banks. Good luck with your decision. Joe from PA

/ 422 or 425 #4  
I'd go for the PT425 if I could swing the funding. We had to make the same decision 4 years ago and back then it was essentially the same unit as the 422 wtih a ROPS and larger engine made by Kohler. Now, the engines are all Robin, I believe.

You also get stronger wheel motors, ROPS, 8 inches more lift and the commercial use O.K. from PT as mentioned by SnowRidge.

I don't know if the single steering ram on the 422 VS the double rams on the 425 are an issue or a one time fluke. It is important to Scarg, to say the least. Only time will tell if this pops up on other units.