425 or 1430?

/ 425 or 1430? #1  

MountainJJ

Hello all, I have read as much of the forum history as I can and find this to be a great place and a great brand of equipment.

I recently acquired 10 acres in the Sierra at 4000'. Sloping property with a year around creek and about 8 acres in forest, mixed cedar, pine, fir and oak.

I have access to a Case 480 backhoe/loader and it does a ton of work quickly on the flatter areas. I have some areas that are truly over 100% slope, you can't even hike those. I have a couple of acres that are about 20 degree angle or less. that I would like to civilize with irrigation, fruit trees, grapes, garden, walking paths etc. Lots of fence to build and maintain and snow removal on about 250 yards of roads. Also the removal and burning of about 20 years of down wood and burnable (in the winter only up here) debris.

I have considered and driven several CUTs but they seem as unstable and potentially fatal on the slopes as the Case 480 is. All being narrow track with rather high COGs

My question to those of you that have seen or used these power machines is to help me understand the value and capability difference and make a choice between the 425 and the 1430.

The mix is that for the really heavy stuff on the flat I have a Case 480, but I still have lots of work to do on the steeper parts.

Your thoughts, recommendations, direction and links are all appreciated.

Thanks,

/ 425 or 1430? #2  
Welcome to the group.

In your case, the first thing I would suggest is to call Power Trac in Tazewell and ask for Terry. He may be just a little hard to get ahold of, but when you do, discuss the two units' relative slope abilities and what their respective engine's angle operating limitations are. Terry is tech support, not sales, and tends to be the most knowledgeable person there that is readily available to customers.

Knowing nothing else, I would bet on the diesel powered 1430 at that altitude and working those slopes.

You are sure to get other opinions here, though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 425 or 1430? #3  
I can't speak on the 1430 but the elevation for the 425 will be no problem. I'm at 4600 feet and have a 425 which performs very well at this elevation.
Regarding the projects you plan and area to maintain, again the 425 should do well.
PJ

/ 425 or 1430? #4  
<font color="red"> The 1430 is larger, heavier (~2x), less maneuverable, louder, can lift more, and is more expensive (~$7000)!

For most uses, the 425 is handier, powerful enough, more agile, and uses less expensive attachments!

The 425 with a PT Grapple Bucket and reversed wheels is amazing at woods cleanup, flat or not!

For heavy duty dirt work the 1430 is better!

They are both excellent machines. It just depends upon which one will do YOUR jobs best!!

With my son running a chain saw, and I running my PT-425 with the PT Grapple Bucket, we easily cleared this ice storm clutter. While he felled and cut up, I transported and burned.

BeforeATBN.jpg

ClearedTBN.jpg

GrappleTBNa.jpg

AAA_smiley__.jpg

</font>

/ 425 or 1430?
My search continues. Thanks for all of the data. That is one huge log, I'm impressed.

I called Power Trac today and talked over my setting. They recommend the 1430.

They said that the 425 is rated to 20 degrees and the 1430 is rated to 30 degrees. With my slopes the 1430 is indicated.

I really like the size of the 425 better and with the $6K less I can afford some more attachments.

Choices are never easy for me.

Thanks for all the help.

/ 425 or 1430? #6  
MountainJJ

I have read your post with some interest since I am in somewhat the same situation as you. My property is only 3 acres and is on the central coast of CA; however I too have slopes that need to be mowed and will require some grading and excavation to prepare them for garden and perhaps some grapes.

I noticed in your post that you use the term 100% slope and then also 20 degree angle. I won't challenge your having done your homework but I know this was a real difficulty concept for me until I found a conversion chart that made it clear as to the conversion from percent to degrees.
The 20 degrees rating that PT is claiming for the 425 is equivalent to 36.4% and the 1430 at 30 degrees is 57.7%. You also indicate that you have some slopes exceeding 100% which would mean exceeding 45 degrees.
I too have the slopes which exceed the 20 degrees of the 425 but I am torn about the size and cost of the 1430. If I can get away with ignoring the slopes in excess of the 20 degrees, I may opt for the 425 based solely on economics.
I am attaching the conversion chart for you information.

Regards

Bob

Attachments

• 714630-Slope.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 178
   / 425 or 1430?
Bob,

Thanks for the slope chart. I do know the difference, just don't write as well as I should. I actually have every terrain up to including 20' vertical rock cliffs. I have about 5 acres of cedar, pine, fir forest that is largely on 45 degree slopes. This I will not be using any motorized stuff on because it falls to cliffs and a creek, too dangerous. I have about 3 acres that I'm doing almost exactly what you describe, planting fruit trees, grapes, garden, barn and water features, clearing about 800' of road from our 60" of annual snow (road is growing). I have limited logging and loads of down trees to clear.

I find it interesting that there is 10 degrees of slope capability improvement with the 1430. I don't know if I would have the nerves to drive that across slope at 30deg, that is almost too steep to comfortably walk across for me, let alone up. I'm impressed even with the 425 20 degree capability.

I called power trac today and they are looking for California folks with 425's and 1430's that might be willing to show or even just talk and/or email with me on this choice. Perhaps many of thier customers are not on this board. I'll share what I find with you as I go on this post and in PMs (if it has contact information of your use).

Life is good when your worries are how big of a tractor you need. We are truly lucky to have this board and this opportunity.

Best,

/ 425 or 1430? #8  
I was in the same boat as you are with the 425 and the 1430. So last week I cashed in some Amex points and flew to Tazwell with my 12yr old son. Mowing was a big point of my concern as I have 65+ fruit trees to get around on appx 3 acres of land (or I should say my sons has 65+ trees to mow around as he is the primary mower).

We test drove both the 425 and 1430 with the finish deck on and found that 425 was more nibble but the 1430 not that far behind.

With that in mind I went with the 1430 as I always tend to overbuy the first time around so I don't have to upgrade at a later date. This has almost always paid for itself in the long run on the many prodjects that I have taken on. It does not cost that much more if the cost is spred over it's lifetime 20+years. That what I told my wife!

Also I kind of view a engine choice as diesel(mule) vs gas(horse). They both eat a cup of grain and crap the same but the mule will pull a plow a lot longer and harder while the horse will pull like mad then have to take a rest for awhile.

On my other uses the 1430 is so much more machine it was no choice to go with it over the 425. Although if I had more time the 425 would also do the job with no problems.

After my son and I finished playing wtih the toys at Tazwell
we ended up with the following. Shipment due in this week!

PT-1430
60" finish mower
4 in 1 bucket
18 cu.ft. bucket
mini hoe
60" tiller
(3)extra attachment plates to build out(forks, boom pole,reciever,etc.)

If you have any questions just ask or email me and I'll send my phone # over.

Terry

/ 425 or 1430? #9  
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 425 or 1430? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I find it interesting that there is 10 degrees of slope capability improvement with the 1430.
)</font>
I'd guess that at least part of that difference is the different lubrication systems in the engines -- and not the "rollover" characteristics of the tractors themselves.

The gas engines are rated for use at 25 degrees or less, so I think PT is being conservative when they state 20 degrees. In comparison, the oil-cooled diesels probably can handle a steeper slope without worrying about oil starvation in the engine, since they have a much larger engine oil capacity to begin with...