Most Difficult Task

/ Most Difficult Task #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
To give new guys an idea of what PTs can and cannot do, I would like to know what was the most difficult task that you ever tried and succeeded or tried and failed to do with your PT.

For me it was a stump removal. I ended up using the PT422, two high lift jacks and a 20 horsepower John Deer Tractor (I have no pride), along with two comealongs, straps, chains, and a power washer.
You can look at my post for more details.

What have the rest of you done and had to bring more resources to bear than you thought you would need?

Was there anything that you thought the PT should have done, but did not?

Was there anything which you were surpised the PT was able to do.

Bob Rip

Attachments

• 719274-Isabel stump out of hole.JPG
    719274-Isabel stump out of hole.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 558
   / Most Difficult Task #2  
<font color="red">For me it was a stump removal. </font>
Me, too, although it was the disposal job afterward. My brother had pulled the stump by getting running start with a 10-wheel Brockway boom truck, with a 3/4" steel choker to the stump. It came out and he dragged it part way down a steep hill next to the gully we wanted to roll it in. Then, he tried to roll it with the 2240 John Deere bucket -- this on a steep grade macadam driveway. The rear of the 2240 came up, meaning no power, and no brakes. Fortunately he got it back down. With the PT and heavy bucket , I was able to lever the stump and root ball -- estimate 7500 lb., into the gully. No problem with power - lift and curl - and none at all with stability or safety.

Other: mowing a 30 plus degree hill of underbrush and vines with rough-cut mower. No other tractor I have or have had could do it - certainly not with me on it, anyway.

/ Most Difficult Task #3  
Stump removal here too. This one was very big. It took a couple of days digging around it and shaking it with the grapple. Once it was loose, I tied a chain around it and pulled it up a ramp that a dug into the ground with the PT. Once it was out, I grabbed hold of it with the grapple and drove backwards to my stump pile. "PT Pucker" was high that day... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

P.S. this pic was taken this spring when I first got the tractor.

Attachments

• 719305-big stump (Small).jpg
    719305-big stump (Small).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 521
   / Most Difficult Task
That is one big stump!

Bob Rip

/ Most Difficult Task #5  
YIKES! Those are big stumps. Worst thing I ever did was move 60 yards of moon dust at the ball park. It was a several hundred yard trip each way with the large bucket heaping so much that it would not drive forward at any speed without nosing down into the grass... so I went in reverse full throttle with the bucket acting as wheely bars each time I hit a small bump. It was a couple long days at full throttle with full load. I was impressed that the machine never let up in power all day, both days. I went through about 15 gallons of fuel in two days and lots of beverages.

I think Paul is the king of hard work, though. Hope he weighs in here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Most Difficult Task #6  
I have only given my PT 2 tough jobs so far,(at least tough for me).
1) I spread 9 dumptruck loads of crushed asphalt millings on my driveway in one day. I was amazed that I could actually make my driveway useable. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was a mud pit when I started. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
2) I helped my neighbor solve a problem he had when he was building his house. He had put in 2 different waste lines for his septic tank one for each bathroom on each end of the house. He came over on a Thursday evening asking "Will that little thing you have dig at all? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifHe had forgotten about one of his drain lines and they were going to poor his patio and sidewalk concrete the next morning at 7:00, He couldn't get anyone with a backhoe or trencher to come out at 6:30 on a Thursday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif He had been out there with a sharpshooter(3" shovel) trying to break flakes of clay out of the ground for about 2 hours. He had a trench about 2' deep and maybe 2.5' long. I said I can't dig very deep only about 4' with the mini hoe. So I dug about 45' of 2.5' X 9" trench in about an hour and a half. The first time I curled the bucket and brought out a bucket, full of dirt, he Started laughing and went inside and got us some drinks and said, "man am I glad I live next to you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It made me feel good to be able to help someone who needed it, it made us good neighbors, it made us friendly to one another. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Not really tough jobs, just good experiences. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Jeff

/ Most Difficult Task #7  
Tough jobs????
Seems that I must live in fantasyland as I start each job (project) never even thinking about it being a tough job as ignorance kicks in /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Then the fun begins, once the project is started you are committed to finish or make a mess of things.
The biggest job for me probably was thinking I could take my mini hoe and dig a hill out for a garage foundation. Looks easy, sounds easy, best equipment around, why not!
This is where ignorance comes to play, as I never gave it a thought that this little green machine was not built for a task like that.
After a week of part time digging (boy did I have fun) the job was completed. See my post “Why I Bought A PowerTrac 425” by PAJOUBE. You know, I saved $2,500 by doing this myself, which paid for the mini hoe. Time? well, I’m retired so that was no problem. Fun? best time I have had.
Used the mini hoe to dig and pull down, 4 n 1 bucket to pull out, and the large bucket for cleanup.
Do it again? You bet. Never was one to think that this little green machine could not do it. The operator is the one with ignorance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PJ

/ Most Difficult Task
One of the best things that I have built with my PT is good neighbors. Of course this was not a difficlut task so I should not mention it here.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Keep them coming.

Bob Ripley

/ Most Difficult Task
Has anybody found a task the you thought your PT should do and it could not? Please mention you model number.

Thanks

Bob Rip

/ Most Difficult Task #10  
I can't find a place on it that acts as a bottle opener, yet. Other than that, I have not been disappointed. It has worked as advertised and then did a bit more than I expected.

First, you have to understand the abilities of the design VS an AG tractor's design. Once you understand the differences, for many people, a little bell goes off in their head.... BING! I don't need and AG tractor because I never plow a field. This thing is much more versatile for the jobs I need to do. It looks like a better solution. BING! BING! BING! Big smile appears, you pick up the phone and you order.