Robin Engine

/ Robin Engine #1  

funpilot

Silver Member
Tractor
PT 425
What is this? Went out and found that it is made by Subaru? If I have a choice between a Robin engine and a Generac in the 425 which would be better? I also read other posts that seem to indicate that the 425 has a Kohler engine....is that in the past and if so, why did they change it?

/ Robin Engine #2  
There have been many discussions of the Robin engine. I think it is pretty good. There are some reports of many thousands of hours on an engine while running a generator continously. There have been some issues such as cold starting and vapor lock. Robins gave me a new starter, new ignition coils, and new plugs on a four year old engine to correct the cold start problem (well out of warranty). Their support on this web site has been excellent. Their rep (Jack Robin) regularly reads this site and comments. The PT guys really like them.

In summary, it's a good as any and better than many.

I don't know the Generac engine.

Bob Rip

/ Robin Engine #3  
Generac engines have a great reputation as stationary powerplants, such as in generators. My only concern would be parts/service availability...

Generac Engines

Hmmm! I didn't know that PT ever used Generac engines...

/ Robin Engine
I searched this forum and found someone had posted that PT had recently "tested" a generac engine for the 425. It was a 30 HP engine. I am looking into whether this is the same machine.

/ Robin Engine #5  
Generac makes an V-twin engine (GTH 760) that maxs at 29.2 hp w/ 24.8 hp reccommended. It looks like it would fit in a 425 as its about 19 in high, 17 in wide and 19 in deep. It has full pressure lube which would be good on those steep slopes.

/ Robin Engine #6  
Looks like the 990 (33 HP) is the same size as the 760?

25hp up to 33 would be a nice option for a 425, or should I say 433? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Robin Engine #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is this? Went out and found that it is made by Subaru? )</font>

Robin always have been Subaru, we are owned by Fuji Heavy Industries. They have several different divisions, Industrial (which is us), automotive, space/aviation and some more.
As of this year, we've changed our name completely to Subaru for marketing purposes all over the world.
Within next year or so, our engines will be labeled Subaru only and we'll lose the name Robin at some point in time.
I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jack Gawecki
Robin America, Inc.
Technical Support Dept.
800-277-6246

/ Robin Engine #10  
Jack,

1. I've heard that the Briggs Vanguards are actually based on a Generac design... can you confirm this?

2. Also, he's also looking at a 2004 model with a Robin engine -- I assume that the engine warranty is transferrable, as long as the machine has not been used commercially. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance,
Kent