Electrical Problems

/ Electrical Problems #1  

maujer422

Tractor
Power Trac 422
I'm having electrical problems, I need your thoughts. It only happens when I have a full load, while turning, run one wheel on a pile of dirt causing the machine to twist, or going down hill, the engine will cut out, but it doesn't do it all of the time. When the engine cuts out all I have to do is turn the steering wheel and the engine will start running again, if it quits it will not start unless I turn the steering wheel while trying to start the engine. The first time this happened I thought the plugs were bad, so I changed them, I checked to see if I had spark and there was none, the fan still ran and the starter still worked. At the time it was turned hard to the right, so I decided to straighten it out with the starter as soon as I turned the wheel it started running. That was 3 weeks ago I called Terry he thought I just had a loose wire connection he told me to push on all of the wire connections I also pulled the wire harness towards the front of the machine giving it a little more slack in turning. I thought that fixed the problem, using it Saturday to dig and move rocks I found things are getting worse. I'm going to call Terry this morning. The wiring diagram in the book leaves alot to the imagination, any help will be appricated. I have a 1997 PT 422

/ Electrical Problems #2  
What engine do you have on your PT-422?

/ Electrical Problems #3  
If you have the Kohler engine, the white wire is the kill wire. Try this, disconnect the white wire from the engine, and start and run, turn the PT and see if it will shut off the engine. If the engine stays running through all your turns, there is a short in the kill wire from the engine to the ign switch. Don't forget to reconnect the kill wire in order to shut off the engine. When you turn the ing switch to off, you are grounding out the mag, therefore no spark and the engine dies.

/ Electrical Problems #5  
Even with a Robin engine, I think JJ still has diagnosed the problem for you... the "kill wire" to the engine is being shorted out somewhere.

Do you have a manual for the engine?

/ Electrical Problems #6  
I don't have a schematic for the Robin engine, but if you do have an electrical diagram in your manual, find the kill wire from the engine and isolate it and do the test in the above post. There may be a connection block in the engine compartment that you can trace out the wires. Some where in the tunnel, the kill wire may be rubbing on metal and grounding out your system. If that is the case, I would just run another wire from the terminal block, through the tunnel and connect to the ign switch.

/ Electrical Problems #7  
I had a similar erratic stalling on my 422 with the Robin engine. I traced it to a fuse holder that is just behind the back of the starter and connected to the main (big) terminal on the starter which leads to the positive terminal on the battery. The engine has a solenoid valve which cuts off the fuel when it looses power and it is powered by this fuse. The fuse holder is blue. Wiggle the wires to this when the engine is running (stay away from moving parts). If the engine stalls or sputters, then this is your problem. This happened around 300 hours of use.

There is another fuse holder likes this which runs the hydraulic cooling fan. It failed a few months later. These fuse holders have insulation displacement connections inside of them. It it my very firm belief that this type of connector should never be used.

Of course the other comments may also be the problem.

Let me know your results.

Bob Rip

/ Electrical Problems #8  
The kill wire color is black. Grounding it kills the engine.
I have the service manual and it is available on the Robin Subaru web site.

Bob Rip

/ Electrical Problems #9  
Dis you ever solve your electrical problem?

/ Electrical Problems
Going to work on it more tonight, last night we narrowed it down to the green wire in the harness [ which is a 5 wire 14 gauge rubber extension cord ] everthing on the engine end is working properly. The green wire in the harness looses power when the PT is turned tight to the left, I think that wire has come apart inside. We are going to run a jumper wire tonight to see if that is the problem. I will let you know.