Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac #11  
I'm sure going to be interested in how things go if you get that Power Trac. I'm also surprised at the low hours on your 4310; thought you were using it more than that.

Bird

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac
Bird - I think I've spent more time improving it than I have using it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

The one I had before this one got a lot more use than this one has, in the length of time I've had it, that is. But this one is just getting "broken in good."

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac #13  
I thought I added a post a while back, but don't see it. If this is a dupe, I apologize.
I am scheduling a trip to Tazewell to look at the Power Tracs within a couple of weeks. I agree with Glennmac's thread about design, and hope ultimately to transition. I'm not concerned that the three point hitch isn't very good. None of them are. I hope to get a 1430 Power Trac, and put only a 2" tow receptacle on the back for a dump trailer, manure spreader, etc. I have a Jacobsen 6' wide Turf Cat front mower that is nearly worn out. After experience with it, however, and constant comparison with a JD 950 and 6' Woods brush hog, I will not buy another cutter that folllows me around. I hope Power Trac does come out with a 6' wide cutter. The 1430 should swing it easily, and cut my slopes much more easily and safely than the 3 point cutter. (I can't justify the backhoe, which appears to me to be the only advantage that the 2400 series has over the 1400)
I have corresponded with eight or ten Power Trac owners, and spoken with several. Uniformly, they say the Power Trac will out work comparably powered conventional tractors, and do so with safety and convenience. All agree the machines are rugged, all have had good experiences with the company, and none indicated any desire to go back to our grandfathers' tractor configuration.
If I can just find buyers for my old Turf Cat II, and my older Kubota 7100 HST, I may be able to do more at the Power Trac facility than just look and dream. (I have to keep the 950 and brush hog, because a number of other family members co-own and use it, and I certainly wouldn't want to lend them the Power Trac.)

Charlie Iliff

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac #14  
No hyphen in the name. And, I agree all their models are serious machines.

What I meant had to do with mowers. As I said, I could be wrong, but I checked the price lists again, which is the only place I see a comprehensive list of attachments for the models. I call the 2422, 2445 and 2465 the TLB machines, because I think they are the only ones that offer backhoes.

If that is true, there is no finish mower or cutter listed for the 2665, there is a 60" cutter but no finish mower listed for the 2445, and there is a 60" finish mower and 48" cutter listed for the 22hp 2422, which has a small backhoe. It is this 2422 I was referring to as not "serious" as to the mower sizes.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the mower availability. I hope so, in fact.

Charlie - The major difference between the 2400 and 1400 series tractors, other than the lack of backhoe and three-point-hitch, is in lift height and ground clearance. They're designed to be primarily turf-type machines, whereas the 2400's are designed to be construction/tractor type machines. Lift capacities are similar, as are weights. Construction quality is identical, engines are identical, and most, but not all, of the front-mounted attachments are interchangable. Let me know how the prospective Power Trac purchase goes

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

Glenn - Ah, I didn't realize you were getting your info from the price lists, though that's a very reasonable thing to do... Their price list is not all-inclusive, especially on the 2400 series, unfortunately. I walked up and down through rows and rows of finish mowers and rotary cutters (which they build themselves), and was told repeatedly that all of them will fit pretty much all the machines. They just don't anticipate many people buying a 2400 to mow grass with. This is one of the very basic marketing issues that I'm completely at odds with them on. We've argued about it several times, in person and by phone. They're beginning to budge, and will happily give the customer what they want, but they're just not aware yet of the average compact utility tractor purchaser's wants/needs. I realize I'm repeating myself but, again, that's why I encouraged the phone calls to the particular person I did, and why I'm requesting that callers let it be known that I referred them. That puts us into groups, instead of just individuals, and groups have influence, especially, I hope and predict, with Power Trac.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac #17  
Mark:
Since I have a fair amount of slope mowing, I think the lower 1400 series is better for me. Although it has less lift height capability, I think that with the grapple bucket I will be able to match what we have been doing for years with a JD 2240 and front loader, and without the 3 point mounted 6-71 Jimmy block we use as a counterweight. (That tractor turned over this winter, without injuring anyone, fortunately, but got me back looking at Power Tracs. They look more stable than any concentional tractor, and far more than a skid steer. Do you agree? Disagree?)
I have not seen the machines, yet, but over the last two years have spent a lot of time on brochures, videos, and scribbling on pieces of scrap paper. Keep me posted on yours, and I'll try to contribute as I learn.

Charlie Iliff

/ Goodbye Kubota, Hello Power Trac #18  
Good news on the mowers.

So, I now have three suggested improvements for them:

1. Get out of their mine shaft mentality, take off the marketing blinders, and be dazzled by their biggest potential customer base: compact tractor owners and wannabees.

2. Improve the website, so it is easier to navigate and understand their models, accessories and attachments. They need comparison charts and spec sheets.

3. Make a 2435 with a hoe, floatable 3ph, and 72" finish mower and cutter decks--for those of us who want these size mowers, want TLB function, but don't need high end TLB capacity.

Come to think of it, if there was such a machine, I'm not sure what I would put on a 3ph.

Charlie - As to the stability of the 1400 series on slopes, yes, I definitely agree. They have a far lower center of gravity than any compact utility tractor. Turning one of those things over will take some doing. The 2400 series, on the other hand, has about the same slope limitations as the average CUT, assuming a constant slope. It has advantages over a CUT when the slope has irregularities, such as holes or rocks on it, due to the oscillation feature.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

Glenn,

My main interest in a 3ph is multi-tasking. The ability to use everything on the front is great, and that's where I'd rather have it, but there are times when, no matter how easy it is to switch front-mounted implements, it just isn't practical. For example, I have a long driveway (1.5 miles), and I generally haul stone from a stockpile down the road in a bucket, drop and spread it where I want it, then grade that section. To do this, I need the bucket on the front and the blade on the back. There are many other similar situations, too, that I'm constantly in. Ideally, I could use everything on either the front or the back, but that's a little impractical with some things, such as putting the 4-in-1 bucket on the 3ph, for example.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif