PT 422 for firewood processing!

/ PT 422 for firewood processing! #1  

scarg

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 422 Mod to kawi 29HP FD791
I have always cut my own firewood except for last year.

This year I was in for a real treat using the PT 422.

I have about 20 cords of logs for firewood left over from a logging project a couple years ago.

I am using the 4:1 bucket to grab full tree length logs in some cases and pulling out to a good location to cut to about 12' lengths. Then I grab about 16" in the 4:1 and raise the log up and bring it over to the pile. Now is the fun part. The 4:1 picks up the log to about waist high and I can cut off my 16" pieces without any fear of hitting a rock. In addition I no longer have to cut 80% through the log and manually roll it. When the log is cut I then use the 4:1 bucket to push the 16" pieces into the pile where I later split them.

When I split the pieces I first load about 6-10 pieces in the bucket from the pile and then position them near my log splitter about waist high. I can then easily pick them up and plop them on the log splitter.

It may not sound like much but this makes an absolute major difference in processing firewood and my 38 year old back. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve

/ PT 422 for firewood processing! #2  
Are you holding the log with the 4 in 1? I never thought of that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I will have to try that with mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PT 422 for firewood processing!
Yes - I am holding with the 4:1 bucket on the serated edges.

For the real big logs I grip the log with the entire bucket so the PT doesn't tip over.