Dissappointment with wench

/ Dissappointment with wench #1  

SCOTCHERS

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425
Hey all, just thought I'd bring to your all's attention my frustration with the wench. 1st day of play Whammo. Check this out. Busted hydraulic line. No Good. After a couple of days having a custum hose made and $30 later (Not worth the time and aggrevation of sending back to Tazwell or having to wait) I tried it out. First off, no quick release to unreal spool for quick set up. You have to hydrauliclly undo it and it takes at least 1-2 minutes to let out the 50' of cable. Realin in is fine. i"m not in a hurry. Unless your tied into a tree you'll pull yourself as well as potentially damage PT with pulling. Additionally, the spool, when winding up doesn't stay tight and can get caught up and not spool neatly creating pinches in the cable. Enough bitching. Not worth the money folks. Don't recommend.

Attachments

• 730671-PICT0270.JPG
    730671-PICT0270.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 372
   / Dissappointment with wench
another

Attachments

• 730676-PICT0271.JPG
    730676-PICT0271.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 361
   / Dissappointment with wench #3  
Thanks for the review. My long range plan was to get one. I guess not now unless you want to sell yours for a song.

Bob Rip

/ Dissappointment with wench #4  
That looks nothing like the picture on their web site.

Bob Rip

this sucks

Attachments

• 730682-Broken hydraulic line.jpg
    730682-Broken hydraulic line.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 285
   / Dissappointment with wench #6  
The one on the website has the selector valve mounted to the attachment plate. It looks like it is designed to have a free wheel mode to it, with the flip down lever.

http://www.power-trac.com/images/Attachments/winch1.jpg

(dang... inline images don't seem to be working right now)

/ Dissappointment with wench #8  
Is this winch an older unit. This unit seems to have a larger hyd motor, and directly driven. The winch on PT web site, has a smaller hyd motor, and uses gear reduction. If the right valve is used, the unit should freewheel. If you are pulling a load up to tractor weight, you should be able to pull with brakes applied. If the load is greater than tractor weight, you should tie the back end to a tree or use a ground anchor system. A tight spool should wind neatly if the direction of pull is correct.

/ Dissappointment with wench #9  
The website shows the old design.

Dave

JJ
All the things you say would be nice. But the New one in the picture(to date, not even 2 weeks old) has no option for free spool. I have used my brake and it will hold you till you max out opposite couter resistance then it begins to drag you. As I also mentioned, you can tie yourself to a tree and drag however you start to tilt even if bucket is lowered, as well as wonder whether your'll rip apart winch or PT framing.