Murphy's Law of battery replacement.

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #1  

Carpenter

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425, Kubota L39 TLB
Murphy\'s Law of battery replacement.

I had to replace the battery in my PT 425 today. The fact that it lasted 4.5 years was the only bright side to the whole ordeal. First of all, you must remove the muffler to make room to remove the battery. That wouldn't be so bad excepting the tight confines of the engine compartment and the frozen bolts on the heat shield: Murphy helped me break two of them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Then there was the positive terminal bolt that was of an unknown size(Whitworth?), which no wrench in my collection fit, save the ever present Crescent which was almost impossible to use in this situation. Next was an extended search for a battery of the same size. I live in a small town, so I finally settled for one of "similar" dimensions. I managed to squeeze it into place, replace the terminal nut of unknown origin and find the next problem. Because the new battery was a little longer than the old one, I had to drill a new hole in the battery bracket. After drilling out the broken bolts in the heat shield I managed to reinstall the muffler. It was at this point that the barn cat jumped on my back scarring the *beep* out of me and causing my head to make contact with the engine cover. There should be a nice (slightly blood stained) PT425 for sale in about 4.5 years. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #2  
Re: Murphy\'s Law of battery replacement.

All i can say is, "Misery, loves company". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for sharing your experiences in changing your battery. I only had one bolt to replace after taking my heat shield off.

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #3  

On my pt425 I have easy access to the battery , my pt is the ones that has the gas tank built into the hood. When they told me that on the 422 you had to pull the exhaust manifold to be able to access the battery inorder to replace it that was one of the reasons that I went with the new version of the pt 425. I think that someone mentioned that they had went back to the plastic tank under the hood for the pt425 I wander if they went back to an arraingement that would make it necessary to remove the exhaust or not.

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #4  

You don't have to remove the exhaust but you do have to remove the gas tank and the heat shield.

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #5  

I don't have to remove any thing on mine to get to the battery to remove it. My gas tank is built into the hood, the battery is mounted above the engine tub on a bracket under the hood just behind the seat. My hydraulic filter is also mounted to that bracket and I have easy access to that also. there is plenty room for changing the oil filter also. Inorder to remove the pumps I would have to remove the battery and that bracket though. That is what I like about the layout of mine it is real easy to service. I bought mine about two years ago and haven't had any trouble out of it I really like it and don't regret for a minute buying it.

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement.

Sounds like they've made some made some needed improvements for accessability of the battery. I was just humorously venting. I would have thrown in a reference to Rube Goldberg but I knew Charlie would have taken me to task./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The PT is one of the best purchases I ever made and I plan on keeping it....at least 4.5 more years. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #7  

I know where you are coming from, but just think 4.5 years pretty long time to come up with a different location for that battery maybe build a high top like the fellow pter did where he built and put in an extra fan. I beleive that they have changed the layout on the pt425 since I got mine.

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like they've made some made some needed improvements for accessability of the battery. )</font>

<font color="red"> My 2/4 built PT-425 has room for a monster battery! When the time comes, I'll see if the 1000 AH battery, like I have in my Power King, will fit! Rough measurements say that it would!! </font>

PT425_new__TBN__.jpg

Evillol.gif

/ Murphy's Law of battery replacement. #9  

That sure is a sweet looking setup!!

<font color="red"> 1000 AH battery </font>

Hey if you get it alittle bigger you could almost call it a hybrid vehicle though the starter motor might wear out pretty fast. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif