50 Hour Filter Change Question

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #1  

Piedmont3

Silver Member
Tractor
PT - 425
I have 49.8 hours on my PT-425. I am going to change the hydraulic filter on it this weekend. I have the filter already. My questions are:
1. Will adding a different weight oil (15w50) or (10w40) to refill after changing the filter make a difference ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Does it need to match what came in the PT? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
2. What are everyones thoughts on changing all the oil out when I change the filter? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
3. How many gallons of oil will it take to replace it all? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The manual doesn't say, or I can't find it if it does. I seem to remeber 5 gallons...? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but my memory is about as long as my hair... almost non-existent at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Thanks for helping /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #2  
1. The difference in viscosity of one quart would not make a noticeable difference. It should match what came in your PT, if possible, however. Most likely, your PT came with 10W40, but that depends on the date it was built. Since yours appears pretty new (50 hours) it should have 10w40, as far as I know.

2. It's unnecessary to change all the oil, especially at the 50 hour point. A few of us have changed our oil at around the 250 - 300 hour point, going to a synthetic or synthetic blend. I went to Amsoil 20w50 and am pleased with the results since -- but that's only about 30-35 more hours. The higher viscosity synthetic makes a noticeable difference in the torque of the old wheel motors that my PT has, when the oil is hot after a couple hours of operation...

3. The capacity is theoretically 10 gallons, including that filter... when I changed mine out, it took just a hair over 9.5 -- and I assume the remainder was in the hydraulic lines, pumps and cylinders. I jacked the PT up on the other side at the rear and let it drain a long time, so I think I got as much of the old oil out as was really feasible...

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #3  
The PT web site says 10 gal of hydraulic oil for your 425.
10W40

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #4  
On my 425 (Aug '04 model), there's a decal on the hydraulic tank which specifies either 10W-40 or 15W40 motor oil. The owner's manual only says 10W-40 for the hydraulics.

I agree with all of Kent's points/comments. Why waste 10 Gal of perfectly good oil, especially when you consider that most of us don't abuse our machines during those first 50 hrs? Unless there is water or some other contaminant, I would recommend leaving it in for the first 100-200 hrs of operation. I am planning to use a heavier oil like Kent uses when I change, but that won't be for awhile yet.

When you change the hydraulic filter you can fill the new filter element with Mobil 1 or any synthetic of your choice, and you'll get some fraction of the benefits of syn oil right off the bat. The filter fill is just about a quart. You don't need to have 100% syn oil to derive its benefits. Some folks using hydraulic equipment have advocated a partial/fractional oil change, like 25%, replacing the dino oil with synthetic oil to get the majority of its benefits at lower cost than a full change. Since the hydraulic system is not in a harsh combustion environment like the engine, the fractional change has more redeeming value. Also, as a result of oil industry battles, many of the oils labelled as "synthetic" today are not 100% synthetic, i.e., they are not Group IV 100% PAO base stock or Group V ester base to begin with. Info is {HERE} So, mixing a fractional amount of a Group IV or V full synthetic to a dino oil will improve it considerably.

IMHO I think it's more important to address the oil selection in our hot, hard working, air-cooled Robin engines. I switched over to Mobil 1 15W-50 at the 20 hr oil/filter change, and as hot as it has been here this Summer, it was worth it.

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #5  
I changed my PT422 to Mobil 1 20W50 and noticed a big improvement in wheel torque when it was hot. However, my PT came with 5W30. If you are already starting with 15W50, there may be very little change, so it may not be worth it. Has anyone changed from the stock 15W50 (I guess that is stock, but not too sure) to a synthetic 20W50 and noticed a significant difference?

Bob Rip

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Has anyone changed from the stock 15W50 (I guess that is stock, but not too sure) to a synthetic 20W50 and noticed a significant difference? )</font>

Since the sticker on my oil tank said 10W40, I assume that's what I replaced with 20W50 Amsoil synthetic. IMO, that $200 was money well spent....

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #7  
Bob,

The current factory-fill <font color="red"> HYDRAULIC </font> oil is 10W-40. I have no idea what the factory-fill is for the Robin <font color="red"> ENGINE </font> oil, but me thinks it's a dino multi-grade something like a 5W-30 or 10W-30.

When I changed to 15W-50, I was referring to my <font color="red"> ENGINE </font> oil change. With the larger clearances and higher temps in an air-cooled engine, plus our hot Summer ambients, I reasoned that the 50 at the upper end would afford better protection.

I have not yet changed out my HYDRAULIC oil, but I will most likely go to the 20W-50. That said, I like the composition and additive packs in the HD or "diesel" oils better. However, I have only seen them in 5W-40 and 15W-40, nothing higher. For that reason, I am considering of a 50/50 mix of a 15W-40 synthetic diesel oil with a 20W-50 synthetic oil. That way, I would get most of the 50W advantage, as well as the higher detergency and TBN of the heavy duty oil.

I have sort of moved away from using designated "hydraulic" oil as a replacement, synthetic or otherwise. They seem to lack the multi-grade functionality which I would like to have since I don't want to change out 10 Gal seasonally. FOURTEEN's choice is functionally a 5W-30 (formerly ISO 46) which is a bit too thin for my situation. I think the factory may have selected "motor" oils for the hydraulics in part because of their multi-grade functionality (and in part for economy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #8  
I have read in previous posts that the cross reference to the PT hyd. filter is a NAPA Gold Fluid Power Filter #1551...called Advance Auto Parts for a Purolator match and they told me is would be #32010....but on the web site I just found(Purolator Hyd. cross ref.) they show it to be #20101....anybody have any insight into the different numbers??? I have been pleased with Purolator Pure One oil filters and was thinking of their Hyrdaulic filter based on their reputation for good filters......

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question
Thank You, KentT, JJ, TracDoc, BobRip, Farmall, for your input, I got Dino 10W40 because that was what Terry said came in my machine for Hydraulic oil. I decided to wait and change the Hydraulic oil at maybe 150 or 200 hours based on your replies. I will start saving now so I can buy a good synthetic. I don't want to get into an oil debate, but I like the idea of synthetics simply because of the better heat handling capabilities.
once again, Thanks for the comments and opinions.

/ 50 Hour Filter Change Question #10  
Sounds like a very good plan /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif