180 accessories

/ 180 accessories #1  

DML

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT180/56 FORD
I'll be moving soon from my 7 acre characteristic Appilacian lot to a much more mild 0.68 town lot outside of Rochester, MN. I won't be needing all the versitility of my PT 180 after the move and really don't know where I'd put all of the equipment, although the front loader may be usefull for clearing the drive after heavy snows. I have a couple of potential buyers for my entire package here in Kentucky, but so far nothing firm. I'm planning on posting the following attachments for sale here on tractorbynet. They are all about one year old, some less, none more than two years old:

PT 180 single blade finish mower.
Rake.
4 inch trencher.

If interested in the entire package, I'll also include the front loader with Markum tooth bar. It is kinda dreary out today, so I don't really want to go out and take pictures. Soon, I'll make it official and post them in the classified section with more details. I just wanted to give my fellow owners a heads up.

/ 180 accessories #2  
We have a little over one acre and really use the heck out of our PT425. Don't be so sure that you won't need it in MN. .68 acres is a good sized lot. The PT180 will fit nicely.

BTW... You're from KY. Are you familiar with the snow in MN? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 180 accessories #3  
Having lived 4 years in Mankato, MN -- about halfway between Rochester and Minneapolis (and slightly west), the problem isn't the amount of snow. The problem is the cold, so that the snow you receive in November can still be there in April, with the whole winter's accumulation on top of it...

Drifts are a problem, due to the ever-blowing winds, but they likely wouldn't get any more total snowfall as you get in Indiana...

/ 180 accessories #4  
I have a sister in St. Paul. She reports it is cold, a little colder, and then downright cold as winter goes on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And, like you said, the difference between here and there isn't the amount of snow, it's the time it sticks around on the ground.

I think a PT180 on a small lot would be awsome for landscaping and grounds maintenance. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 180 accessories #5  
And snow removal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PJ

/ 180 accessories #6  
DML,
Not sure what your new lot looks like. I've seen .75 acres that didn't even need a push mower it had soo many flower beds and such but my father-in-law with about the same lot size has stated several times he would get a lot of use out of my 180 if he had it. You may find you still have a need just differnt needs (maybe won't need the rake or trencher but could use some other new attachments. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you don't think resale will be much different in KY vs MN wait till you get there and see if you still have a use, if not then sell it there. If you sell it first and then later wish you still had it then that will end up costing more $ in the long run.

Just my 2 cents... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 180 accessories #7  
DML,

I'm interested. I've PM'ed you.

Dave

/ 180 accessories
I'm familiar with MN winters, my wife is from there originally. I am familiar with Vermont winters, which may be a different animal all together. My wife says that they don't get as much snow as they used to, which seems to be the case in most of the country these days. Regardless of the ammount, I'm sure that I'd rather climb aboard the PT as opposed to shoveling for a half hour. Plus, what I understand the biggest challenge regarding snow will be not shoveling the drive, per say, but the end of the drive where the plows discharge all the snow.

Befor we got the PT, we mowed about 3 acres with a push mower. It took mowing almost every day, but we kept it undercontrol! I don't want to go back to that, but I think that we can handle this half acre or so. Anyway, the mower is about the biggest implement and storage will likely be a problem.

/ 180 accessories #9  
There will be two things to consider: 1) The length of your driveway; 2) Your age and health.

If you have a longer drive then I would suggest keeping the 180. It's not that much bigger than a lawn tractor with a snow blade; it's not that much bigger than a walk behind snow blower. Shoveling a 50 feet of driveway that is covered in 1 foot of wet snow is not that much fun. 'Course, shoveling that when there's also a layer of ice on top is even worse. And you're right about the problem with the mess that a street plow will leave behind. Often that is the most difficult stuff to move because it will be 2 feet high, densely packed, frozen wet snow.

The question of "less snow than we used to get" is, of course, objective. In that "less snow" might just be too much for a whole bunch of people. I grew up with lots of snow in Canada, and I'm sick of the stuff but still I don't get all bent out of shape when it snows down here because I'm just used to way more. I know that you have to shovel it soon after it falls or you can just forget it and call a plow. Lots folks don't know that and can't be bothered and heck, would just drive over the stuff instead of shovel it. Supposedly that's why they all by 4x4 SUVs...

My opinion is this: if you can possibly take it with you and decide later about selling it then that is the best option. But having recently moved across the country I can understand what a big deal it can be to try and move something like that. That's one of the reasons I left my old tractor behind. (Wanting a bigger tractor is the other one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)