Another Repair for 1430

/ Another Repair for 1430 #1  

menchhofer

Silver Member
Was using mini hoe today suddenly the PT lost all forward motion and rolled into the hole.

I had reverse but forward was out. Even though the unit is not to be towed, I pulled it out with my Pick up and drove in reverse to get it into the barn. Also lost speed control in reverse, so to stop it was necessary to shut the engine off.

Anyway, got to poking around at the lever that is attached to the control cable and located on a large control valve (?) seems a bit loose. It has a pin that holds it on the shaft. Pin shows on one side but not the other. Tomorrow I will inspect more closely to see if just the lever is loose. I hope it is as I tried contacting Powertrac today and no one answered.

/ Another Repair for 1430 #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I tried contacting Powertrac today and no one answered. )</font>

PT is closed for two weeks out of each year. One is the week around the 4th of July, and the second is the week of Thanksgiving. You'll have to give 'em a call on Monday. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Another Repair for 1430
Thanks.

Now I have found the pin has broken inside the shaft that held this lever to the unit. Going to be difficult to remove as there is not much room to drive the pin out. Seems strange this pin has broken already with only 250 hours on this machine.

/ Another Repair for 1430 #4  
Hey, at least the pin broke and not something else. This is one of those situations where my argument that the PT doesn't need real brakes doesn't look so strong, yes? I'll use the embarrased icon. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Would it be easier to move the valve off the floor and is there enough hose to get it to a place where you could drive the pin out without disconnecting everything?

/ Another Repair for 1430 #5  
I can't visualize what is going on, maybe because it's something on the 1430 that doesn't have a counterpart on the 425? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Do you have an opportunity to snap a pic?

Shou8ld be similar to the 425's. The treadle cable in the engine compartment terminates at a lever on the side of what I call this big valve...it controls forward/rear mothion for the PT. The lever is attached with a pin to the shaft. This pin broke.

I removed the lever, and had noticed the broken pin was still inside the shaft. Yesterday, I found an old bolt the same size diameter and knocked the pin out. I then replace the pin with a bolt and nut so it would not happen again.

Simple fix and I am happy /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

First time usage for the mini hoe on this project of digging about 100 ft to install service line to new pole barn.
Most of the digging was through a driveway.

Minihoe did okay and made the overall job much easier but it is slow. The least amount of additonal movements the better.

I should would not want to dig a large hole with it.

Or maybe I was just in too big of a hurry and it really did not take any time at all.

/ Another Repair for 1430 #8  
I'm one of those that did dig a big hole with the mini hoe. I found that after a few hours of working the mini hoe and getting very good at using it the hole was dug in no time at all.
Being retired time was not a factor, plus I saved $2500 by not hiring it done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PJ

/ Another Repair for 1430 #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Shou8ld be similar to the 425's. The treadle cable in the engine compartment terminates at a lever on the side of what I call this big valve...it controls forward/rear mothion for the PT. The lever is attached with a pin to the shaft. This pin broke. )</font>

Hmmmm... is this the so-called "hydroback cable"? If it is, I recall back a few months ago you were having a problem in that department. The 425 does not employ a hydroback cable on the treadle. The treadle directly actuates hydraulic valves in the operator's compartment, and these valves are plumbed to the main pump in the tub. If it's something else, I apologize for the confusion.

/ Another Repair for 1430 #10  
I think all PT's manufactured after a certain year have the new valves at the treadle and all PT's made before that certain date have the hydroback arrangement. My 1430 was made in '99 and it has the hydroback.