PTO speed control

/ PTO speed control #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
Some years ago, Power-Trac changed the operation of the PTO from lever operated to switch activated. Question is, would you prefer to have a variable PTO speed, or instant on at max rpm? I would prefer to start slow on things like the hyd auger. maybe stump grinder, or trencher. Maybe reverse would be useful. What say you.

/ PTO speed control #2  
I think a slow startup is better for many attachments. If I need this I slow the engine down, turn on the PTO switch and then ramp up engine speed. So I do like to be able to ramp up. This seems adequate. With the lever can you keep it slow?

Bob Rip

/ PTO speed control
Yes, the lever will let me vary the speed, and be able to leave it at any setting. I believe the valve would look like this picture.

Attachments

• 782905-p9-064C.jpg
    782905-p9-064C.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 215
   / PTO speed control #4  
Looks like that insulation would be simple enough. I haven't thought about needing it though. I do know that the finish mower has a very small hyd motor. I just guessed that the PTO bypassed till it reached speed. Is there a third port in this valve to bypass back to tank or how does it work.

/ PTO speed control
What I understand is this. The pump fluid is sent to the PTO valve, and back to tank. When the lever is opened a little, some of that fluid is sent to the hyd motor, and the rest is sent back to tank. The more you open the valve, the faster the implement will run. The valve is actually a flow control valve. One can be added to any circuit for around $50.00 or less. You guys that have hyd augers, is there any need to start the auger slowly or control the speed, how about reverse? You could just switch the hoses around.

/ PTO speed control #6  
I would think that something like an auger would be nice to start slow and ramp up speed.

I know that even at low engine RPM when I hit the electric PTO switch with the brush hog on, there is a tremendous jolt as the hub spins before the blades can get out there with centrifical force. It is very short; probably less than one second. Once it is running, everything is fine. But I do make it a point to start at very low engine RPM. I had to do the same thing with my old 3PT setup on the International or I could snap shear bolts.

/ PTO speed control #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You guys that have hyd augers, is there any need to start the auger slowly or control the speed, how about reverse? You could just switch the hoses around. )</font>

I have yet to use my PT auger. But based on my experience using a one-man auger a couple of years ago I think speed control would be nice to have especially when you have challenging soil conditions. Reverse would be a definite plus.

The problem with many of these modifications though is that the smaller PTs have really limited space as to where you can install extra valve controls in a readily accessible place. We could really use two more joystick controls up on top.

/ PTO speed control #9  
That is one possible solution but it's not the best. If you think about using the mini hoe, for example, it would be nice to be able to operate curl and raising/lowering at the same time in order to get a smoother operation. The button and electric diverter solution doesn't accomplish that.

I'd like to add another PTO (aux2) with a joystick so I can hook up the 4n1 and mini hoe to the aux2 instead of the aux. That way I could accomplish what I described above AND you wouldn't have to disconnect the QA cylinder. Although, it might not be a bad idea to have to disconnnect the QA, now that I think about it, since if you don't...you might forget that the implement is still hooked up to aux2, toggle the QA and drive back with hoses still attached! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wonder why I haven't thought about that before.

Anyhow, my plan is/was to add a toggle that switches between aux1 and aux2. When switched to aux1, the QA circuit and QA lever are operational. When switched to aux2, the flow is diverted to the second aux circuit via the new joystick/valve. At least you would have to flip the switch before you could attempt to disengage the attachment via the QA.

/ PTO speed control #10  
I know with my power angle snow plow it can be a pain to reach down and angle with the knee lever as I have to take my hand off the joystick to reach the lever. I think a button on my existing joystick would be better than a second joystick, as I could still keep a hand on the wheel, which is important when plowing. Since I rarely change the dump/curl angle of the plow, that is the circuit that I would choose to interrupt momentarily and use it for angle. I also think the natural motion of left/right would work best for the power angle. When hooking up the plow, I wouldn't have to disconnect my quick attach to use it for the power angle. I would instead hook the plow angle hoses to the second ports on the electric diverter that would be plumbed into the dump/curl circuit.

This setup will work well if I ever finish my grapple, too.

However, with a mini-hoe, as you mentioned, I think it would be better to have a second joystick for controlling the bucket instead of switching between dump/curl and extend/retract.

I'm sure we could come up with some sort of parallel circuit that would allow for both a second joystick and electric diverters, so we could pick and choose between operations. What's a few extra hundred bucks!? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif