Damaged lines

/ Damaged lines #1  

BillCroasmun

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-180
Thanks Beechwood!
I took your suggestion and checked my lines and sure enough, the opening where the lines exit from inside the console to go to the arms are cutting into the lines pretty good. Their doesn't seem to be any damage from there forward to the cylinders. Now I am wondering how best to stop further damage. The lines to not have much play to reposition to a better exit angle so I am contemplating either wrapping the lines or adding some type of molding to the steel cut out to prevent digging in.

Any suggestions? If wrapping the lines what material is best? Should I wrap them all at once (like the tunnel) or wrap the lines individually?

Thanks,

/ Damaged lines #2  
You can purchase hydraulic line protectors at any hydraulic supply. Plastic, steel. or nylon

/ Damaged lines
Thanks JJ, Being new to hydraulics I haven't been exposed to many of the options available. Do you know if they come split to install over existing lines or if I would need to remove the ends before installing them. I tried finding some online but haven't found a good site yet.

/ Damaged lines #5  
I have the spiral wrap around my steering cyl hoses. In time, it will even rub through that. I would think that a steel sleeve could be bolted around the hose at the rub point, or half of a steel sleeve on the rub side.

If you can remove the hoses easily, I would also file down the sharp edges of the hole that the hydraulic lines go through.

Can you show pictures of your situation?

/ Damaged lines #6  
At my 100 hour service, I tried to carefully inspect each hydraulic hose for signs of abrasion. I found the hoses you mention starting to rub a little where they pass through the body to the front rams but was able to position them better using nylon ties. I found some more severe "rubs" on some lines in the tub and pulled them back also with nylon ties.

I'll just keep inspecting all potential problem spots as I do other maintenance. On an 'all-hydraulic' machine, hose inspection just has to be one of those priority items.

Phil

/ Damaged lines
I was thinking of trying my Dremel with a grinding wheel to smooth and "round" the steel at the opening. With the Dremel I might not need to even remove the hoses. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll work on the pictures, now that winter is here I notice I'm only outside long enough to do what needs done so picture taking has slowed way down. Guess I'm getting a little wimpy as the years go by. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Damaged lines
Phils, thanks for the advice. I tried to realign them by hand with no luck but maybe a zip tie will help hold them in a more centered place in the opening. I'll give it a try.

So far I'm enjoying learning about the ins and outs of hydraulics. Originally hose inspection was not real high on the list of maintenance items but now I'm seeing that it's far more important than first thought.

/ Damaged lines #9  
If the sharp edges on the hole are causing a problem, why not just simply pad the edges of the hole?

/ Damaged lines #10  
Padding the edges is what i intend to do...I also happen to have several hundred feet of 3/4" wire loom(for organizing speaker wires, cables, etc) that I will also slip onto the hoses for added protection. Hope that's wide enough for them! I actually never thought of this before so I'm glad to have read this thread!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif