Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #1  

SCOTCHERS

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425
Has anyone else had bad experiences with the rocker arms comming loose. I've taken it in to Ditch Witch 3 times now and each time it seems to come loose or un-sink. Seems the Loctites don't hold. It's been a real problem. Engine has around 240 hours and has been maintained to a "T". Ditch Witch is bewildered as well as frustrated just as I am. Any suggestions or experiences would be great. Thanks all. John

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #2  
it sounds like u have a bad engine. in the last year to year in a half i have heard good things about subaru/robin. i have about 5 or 6 products that have the subaru engine and it has been very good. i would say about 70 % of my rental tools have a honda but i am very pleased with the robin. what type of tool is the engine on and the hp.

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #3  
<font color="blue"> ( in the last year to year in a half i have heard good things about subaru/robin. )

</font>
<font color="red"> That's strange! You may be the only one!!

About a year and a half ago Power Trac started putting the Robin engines in their PT-425 instead of the Kohler Command Pro. Since then I have read on this forum many tales of woe about Robin engines in Power Tracs. I can not recall a Kohler engine problem being reported during that time!!

Luckily I have a two year old PT-425, (260 hours, just gas, oil, and filters) with the premium quality Kohler engine. If I didn't, based on TBN, I doubt that I would want to buy a new Robin engined Power Trac!!

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
So_Sad__.gif
AAAsmiley.jpg

PS: Too bad Power Trac doesn't offer an optional engine!!</font>

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #5  
I hope I don't open a can of worms on myself here...but I have the Robin 22 hp on my 422 with over 160 hours doing all sorts of tasks(typical for the PT) and have not had any problems besides the run-on or pop at shut down...but as it has been discussed this is probably more of an exhaust design problem than engine problem. I'm not saying the Kohlers are any worse/better...just saying I'm not sure the Robin engine is as bad as you have stated...any other Robin owners with over 200 hours want to chime in?

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #6  
<font color="blue"> ( I hope I don't open a can of worms on myself here.

<font color="red"> Open away! Worms can be fun!! </font>

I have the Robin 22 hp on my 422 with over 160 hours

<font color="red"> I was primarily referring to the 25hp engines used in the PT-425.
160 hours is not long service for an engine. (I have a Kohler in my 1976 Power King that, with just gas, oil, and one head gasket, runs as sweet as it did 30 years ago!) Even though the 25hp Kohler engines in the PT-425 have been in service a minimum of 1-1/2 years longer than any of the 25hp Robins, there have been far less problems reported in this forum. </font>

I'm not saying the Kohlers are any worse/better...just saying I'm not sure the Robin engine is as bad as you have stated

<font color="red"> I did not state that the Robins are bad. I just reported that they have received many more negative comments on this forum. All evidence on TBN, by its very nature, is anecdotal.
If I had a choice of engines, I would generally rank them as Honda first, then Kohler, Kawasaki, Briggs, and Robin, but that's just my impressions of the various engines. Please, pass the salt!!
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font>

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #7  
Point taken....of course I realize 160 ours is very few by tractor standards(I would love to know how many hours are on the ol' Farmall!!)....but would like to hear from Robin owners with more hours than me to see what experiences they have had. Kohler is a proven and fairly well known name...I actually knew nothing about Robin engines until I got the PT.

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #8  
My PT-422 has 425 hours. Initially, it was hard starting when cold. Last summer, I checked the tappet adjustment and they were out of spec. Since adjusting the tappets to specification the engine starts easier in cold weather.

I don't remember if I checked the rocker arm bolts. It is something I would normally do. Next time it warms up I will check the torque on them.

I like my Robin engine. I love the Robin service. I appreciate Jack at Robin looking in on this board. I believe Kohler produces a decent engine also. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dale

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #9  
I have about 500 hours on my PT422 with a Robin Subaru engine. I had to regap the plugs to help with cold starting, but it starts well and runs well. There was one report of a generator engine running 7000 hours before failure. They ran it 24/7 on a generator for over a year.

Bob Rip

/ Subaru/Robin Engine on PT425-Problems #10  
I have a 422 with the Robin 22 hp engine and 850 hours on it and have had no problems and I believe it runs just as good as it did when new.