Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Careful with augers!

I recently nearly had an accident while using my auger. The digging was tough because of rocks and small roots so I opened the throttle for more power and speed on the auger. Suddenly it jammed and the torque from the auger rolled the tractor FAR to the right. Both left wheels were at least 18-24 inches off the ground.

It was far enough and fast enough that I had to grab the ROP to keep from being thrown off the seat before I could shut off the auxilliary switch (It was easier to reach than the ignition). It was scary how fast it all happens. Apparently there is more than one kind of 'pucker' with the PT.

Verona, KY (across the river from Cincinnati)
    Tractor
    Bobcat Toolcat 5600

Default Re: Careful with augers!

Wow, that's scary...glad everything turned out alright.

Does the PT have a hydraulic relief valve?

Regards,

Dean

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    sold PT-425

Geez, Louise! That's really scary, and I'm glad that you had the presence of mind to hit the PTO before a rollover or worse happened. As you describe it, I can certainly see how that chain of events could play out.

Hmmm....wonder if a box of "Depends" should be in the garage of PT owners to be worn before attaching/using certain implements, or doing certain tasks. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Glad you were not hurt!!! Sounds like you didn't have your seat belt on?? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] No damage to the PT??

Tractor
    PT 1430

On the 1430 I have stalled the auger many times without moving or tipping the tractor. Did you possibly apply enough down pressure to make the front end lite? I could see where that might happen.

Tractor
    Kubota L3031DT

What type of tractor and what size bit? I remember "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" with a hand-operated one.. we had 4 guys on it, and it spun it around like a pinwheel, when it hit thick gumbo clay. Funny in retrospect, but I'll pay attention to mine, re. your story.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Has someone replaced the original shear bolts with a heavier grade 8 instead of a grade 2?
    My augur has shear bolts and the PTO shaft has shear bolts. One of them should have sheared before the tractor started to roll. Maybe you should them with grade 2.

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Quote Originally Posted by George2615 View Post
    Has someone replaced the original shear bolts with a heavier grade 8 instead of a grade 2?
    My augur has shear bolts and the PTO shaft has shear bolts. One of them should have sheared before the tractor started to roll. Maybe you should them with grade 2.
    This is a Power Trac. It is driven by a hydraulic motor and protected by a relief valve. There may be a sheer bolt, I am not sure.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Quote Originally Posted by George2615 View Post
    Apparently his auger has enough torque to twist the machine before the relief pressure is met and the supposedly shear bolt is not a shear bolt.

A grade 8 is not a shear bolt. That metal is stronger than almost anything on your machine.

Excerpts for shear bolts.

A shear bolt is designed to be the weakest part of the driven assembly. It is there to protect more expensive parts.

The pin itself may be a plain metal rod inserted through a hub and axle; the diameter of the rod is carefully chosen to allow the shearing action when the desired breakaway force or shock is reached. A cotter pin may also be used as a low-tech shear pin.

They are most commonly used in drive trains, such as a snow blower's auger or the propellers attached to marine engines.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

On my brother in law PHD, the bolt holding the auger on was stronger than the metal on the auger which was only about 1/8" thick and just ripped out the pipe on the auger when it hung up. I had to cut off some of the shaft and drill some new holes to repair it.

No way to twist a tractor like that regardless of the amount of torque on the PTO shaft.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast