Drifting parking brake

/ Drifting parking brake #1  

MuncyBob

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 422
Lately it seems my brake lever gradually lifts upwards until the point that I hear the clicking in the wheels of the pin moving outward and if I hit a few bumps a little on the hard side it just about engages. I did have the foot rest/floorboards off recently and found a lot of debris under the foot rests and in the area of the cable...cleaned that out and thought my problem was solved but it has re-appeared. Any ideas...maybe something needs to be adjusted?? Our spring like weather has gone now so in an unheated garage it will be some time before I can really tinker to solve this...in the meantime I have tied down the lever so I don't have to ride with my left foot holding it down /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Drifting parking brake #2  
I believe you can tighten the handle a bit. I think it is a friction type, deal. It should only take a little. Go in 1/6th turns of the nut and test it out.

/ Drifting parking brake
That would seem too easy of a fix for me but I'll try it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Drifting parking brake #4  
I had the same problem on my 422. A slight tightening is all that is needed. Mine it too tight and I rarely use. I would like some kind of positive lock in the off position.

Bob Rip

/ Drifting parking brake #5  
Yes, it would be nice if the lever would pull up and then hook over a tab or something. Maybe a lever style like in old Postal trucks that is on the dash. You know, the lever that pulls towards you to lock and pushes forward to unlock. it would operate in reverse, but what the heck. Also, maybe a foot parking break off a Chevy mounted to the left side under the dash. Same deal. Step on it and push hard to latch it in the release mode. Step on it again to lock it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Drifting parking brake #6  
<font color="blue"> Lately it seems my brake lever gradually lifts upwards until the point that I hear the clicking in the wheels of the pin moving outward and if I hit a few bumps a little on the hard side it just about engages. </font>

The parking brake is just a pin located by the wheel motors that is spring activated. The activation is by cables attached to your brake handle. The cables are connected thru a set of set screws.

It sounds like the cables have gotten loose and hence the spring is allowing the pin to push out. You probably need to take up the slack in the cable and then retighten the set screws. There are screws up by the brake and also by the wheel motor.

2nd day I had my PT the set screw by the rear motor let loose and locked the wheel. It's an easy fix but the trick like all other repairs is to be able to get your hands in there.

Jack

/ Drifting parking brake #7  
The screw working loose could also cause this problem. Thanks for the comment

Do you have brakes on your rear wheel motors? I got cheated and mine are only in the front. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob Rip

/ Drifting parking brake #8  
<font color="blue"> Do you have brakes on your rear wheel motors? I got cheated and mine are only in the front. </font>

I only have them on the rear so between the two of us we would have it covered /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After seeing how they work I no longer use them. It's just as easy to either drop whatever is attached to the front (usually a plow or bucket) or drop the backhoe bucket in the rear.

Funny but since I didn't think I had a lot of use for the backhoe I thought I would detach the unit most of the time. Having a little seat time now I find it extremely useful to have on the back. Besides digging it can also serve as an anchor, serves as an extra hand to get me out of some ridiculous positions I sometimes put myself into with the machine, and the legs make a very quick jack for changing tires or installing chains. I just have to remember that it is there when I backup. I've dented a few trees!

Jack

/ Drifting parking brake #9  
I don't think we have had many discussion of the "Tall" PTs. It sounds like there are some advantages.
I rarely use my parking brake because if it is loose enough to operate easily it tends to self engage. I need a hard lock off. I just have not worked on that yet.

Bob Rip