How to build a bridge over a small creek

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #1  

menchhofer

Silver Member
Since we are do it yourselfers here I thought I would try to get some possible ideas on how to build a bridge over a small creek on my property to facilitate working in the woods with my 1430. I am pretty sure this has not been discussed here. A google search did not provide me with any ideas.

Anyway, I have thought of just finding some old telephone poles and just building the classic homeowner bridge. However, I do not know if this will support the PT.

Does anyone have any ideas, presumably simple, as to how to build such a thing? Thanks

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #2  
There are differing definitions of "small" but one possibility is to use plastic pipe that is designed to be used under roads. It is available in 12, 18, 24 inch diameter and some larger sizes.

The material is relatively light (as compared to concrete pipe).

A land owner near me used this to bury a several hundred foot section of a small stream to create more usable lawn area.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #3  
I guess the main question is what is "small", if it is not more than a few feet Rail road ties make a great bridge. Telephone poles will hold a large amount of weight as long as the span is not too great.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #4  
Here's a link to radair's well-documented bridge project. His is probably bigger than what you had in mind, but I think the basic idea would scale down pretty well.
Radair's footbrige project

Tom.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #5  
Nice project! One thing I like to do and most I believe on this forum think is to look around and see what is handy. Maybe an old mobile home frame or the like would be a place to start. Good luck on the project and we like pictures.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #6  
One needs more data to offer any plausible response. Things like length, width, height, what materials do you have available, etc. What is the weight of your PT with the heaviest implement.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek
Bridge would need to be about 20 ft in length. About 5-6 ft wide. Sorry for not providing these figures earlier. Pt 1430 as I understand it weighs about 3,000#, plus implement...add another 200 or so.

As far as available construction material I am open to suggestions as the material would need to be purchased.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek
On second thought, I believe I would be most comfortable building with wood only even though using an old trailer frame as noted above looked decent also.

I am thinking of 2x12's and building the floor similar to a house. Same basic idea. I am concerned with the span which would be about 15ft with no support.

I liked the idea with the plastic/concrete pipe but I am worried they would become clogged with debris.

As I see it now, I would need to set cement columns/supports similar to the bridge mentioned above (by the way, an excellent bridge) and anchoring the 2x12 "joists onto it.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #9  
Here are some recommendations that I have. If you are trying to cover 20 ft , set five pairs of dock building post 5 ft apart . Bolt two 2X12 to each post, that way, your deck will be sitting on 4 2X12's Set the width of the post and 2X12 to match your tires on the PT. Top of the bridge could be 4X6, railroad ties, 2X12, etc. You would build it like a dock on the river, but stronger. If you were any good at cement, you could use cement and rebar to make a really nice bridge, by forming up 8 in by 8 in square, and about 26 ft long, with 5 to 6 rebars running the full length. You would set the cement post in the ground and/or water, and rent a crane for a day and set the long rails on the post tying everything together.

They might move these post into building projects.

/ How to build a bridge over a small creek #10  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Bridge would need to be about 20 ft in length. About 5-6 ft wide. As far as available construction material I am open to suggestions as the material would need to be purchased. )</font>

Here's a great option. This guy makes these wooden bridge kits you can assemble or you can cut and build your own. Plans are only about $25, and he will custom-design to your specs if an existing plan isn't already there.

Don't underestimate the strength of a wooden bridge. Some of these span 50', and many are made from 2x6's. The design is based on a curved truss which allows the bridge to be lighter, yet equally strong as some straight I-beam bridges that can get very expensive (and bouncy).

If you are handy with a saw, the bridge arches can be built in several days. You can make the bridge as wide as you want by adding more arches.

These bridges require decent concrete footings on each end to handle not just the vertical weight, but also the horizontal pressures. In my opinion, its the most affordable DIY bridge out there. Check out his website, and I have linked an example here where he is driving a tractor across:
http://pacifi.ca/1_24foot.html

Main site & photos:
http://pacifi.ca/photos.html

http://pacifi.ca/images/Chet048.jpg