Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
Well, I got the Tundra a little stuck even in 4 wheel drive. I got it moving and then hit a tree with the bumper. It put a dent about 2 X 4 inches and 1 inch deep. It moved the bumper back about an inch.

To straighten the bumper I tried to get the hi lift jack under the truck and push on the bumper. I could not get the angles I need. I looked around the garage for something else to do this with and noticed the PT422. I tied a strap around the bumper and to the PT 3 way receiver plate. I took two bolts out of the bumper that held it to the frame. I pulled back gently and straightened it out. I beat down the part of the bumper that had buckled up. I then drilled new holes in the bumper to align with the frame holes. The frame section had been bent a little, requiring these new holes.
OK, now how do I get the dent out? I can get to the back of the bumper with a hammer. I think I am supposed to start around the perimeter and work my way outward. Please confirm or refine this technique.

Thanks,

Bob Rip

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #2  
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear of your accident. Can you provide some photos, that might help with suggestions.

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper
It was not a happy minute, but it is over a year old.

Anyway attached is a picture. I asked some people at work about the dent. Their general comment was that you cannot hammer out a dent in a bumper without making it look worse. Maybe someone here will have an idea.

Bob Rip

Attachments

• 820930-Tundra bumper dent002.JPG
    820930-Tundra bumper dent002.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 991
   / Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #4  
In the old days of chromed bumpers there was a large business of straightening and rechroming bumpers. I think the process used hydraulic presses for the straightening part with special tools. Don't know if there are still companies in the business but you might check.

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #5  
That's a pretty heavy gauge bumper, like the Tacoma I used to have. That just about excludes using a PDR (paintless dent removal) technique. The option described by Bob999 is the best one if you want to keep your own bumper. It is, however, quite pricey, since there is a lot of labor in dent removal and prep, plus the 3-4 layer process of re-plating. Me thinks it would be more economical to scout out a replacement bumper from a salvage yard---find a totalled Tundra with an intact bumper, and you'll be way ahead. Cheapest option is to leave it the way it is, and call it a mark of character /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #6  
Hmmm. I agree with the concept of getting a good used bumper and bolting that on. The metal shown is quite thick, has finish damage, and unless you have special equipment, I doubt it can be salvaged to look decent. Don't be too embarassed. Most of us have some really good 'oops' stories. Some (like me) are just thankful to have lived through them.

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #7  
Bob,

Ebay has several listings for Tundra bumpers. Ebay
Item number: 8035479088 is a new rear bumper for less than $300. Some used bumpers for less.

Dale

If I am going to buy a bumper, I should try to do more on this one first. A friend suggested that I lay the bumper down on a carpeted area and put the end of a 2 X 4 on the inside. Then pound that 2 X 4 with a hammer. He has used this before and it works pretty good. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Bob Ripl

/ Straightening & removing a dent from Tundra bumper #9  
I agree with your friend. I have done this before as well and the dents have come out very well. Of course this was on an older 88 rusty suburban. I slid off the edge of a steep icy driveway and into a tree while plowing. Plow was angled to the left and vehicle hit the tree on the right. The bumper bent in and would touch the tire when making a turn. I gently pulled the bumper away from the tire with a chain around a tree. After weather warmed up I removed bumper and did the 2x4 thing. Also used a dead blow hammer (3 lb hammer that is also plastic/rubber coated) The bumper wasn't showroom but you had to look close to see any damage had been done to it. It's worth a shot to try and fix it. If not, all your out is your time then you can buy a used bumper and bolt it on.

Thanks George. I was looking for that kind of response. The friend at work is in his seventies and has a tremendous amount of experience and common sense, but it is nice to have a second opinion.

My thanks to everyone for their help in this off tractor issue.

Bob Rip