Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is wrong with using the minihoe?

Bob Rip )</font>
I'm curious about this also. What's the requirement that a mini-hoe won't meet?

* Digging more than 4 feet deep?

* Need to swing the bucket more than 45 degrees to each side?

* Longer reach?

Those are the only things that the mini-hoe won't do, in comparison to a real backhoe. Alternatively, it has these plusses:

* Small size, so you can get it into places you likely could not with a backhoe

* Light weight, again allowing you to get into locations that you can't with a backhoe

* Ability to reposition the machine in seconds, instead of minutes, to continue with the trench or whatever...

So far, I'm finding the mini-hoe to be ideally suited for homeowner type tasks, though the 12" bucket would be nice at times. I couldn't conceive how "handy" thins thing is turning out to be for "grubbing" and clearing overgrown property. For "heavy construction" or "heavy clearing" tasks, I'll continue to rent or hire a bigger machine in the first place. IMO, if you need something a mini-hoe won't readily do, you'll likely want a bigger machine carrying that tool any way...

Personally, I'd like to see more mods to the mini-hoe,

* A thumb that could be folded back out of the way...

* Hooks/brackets to make it easier to use as a boom...

My 2 cents, but don't let this discourage more creative tool builiding...

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
Smartguys,
I didn't go the PT route for a couple reasons. Price was one. The Boom is not angled like the one that I will be building, which allows the unit to dig closer to the tractor. The cylinders are a bit smaller than the ones that I want to use. I'll still paint it green. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BobRip.
I don't have a minihoe. And for the price, I can build part of the full fledged backhoe. I have a few projects where it will be better to have the side to side swing of a backhoe VS using the steering of the PT for the minihoe and the digging depth is also an issue. Too much re-positioning will be required with the minihoe for those projects. But a mini-hoe would be good for some of the smaller, quick projects like shrub trasplanting, etc...

Taylortractonut.
I will be sending you a PM in the next couple of days. Thank you, thank you, thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick.
I am lucky to have sand, sand and more sand. There are also a couple pockets of sandy loam and sandy gravel. ZERO hard soil. I have heard that the hardest part of operating these types of units is keeping them in place.

Here's some pictures of some of the steel that I want to use. This first one is the end of the square tubing. After measuring, it is 4X4X1/4. There are plates welded to the ends around all sides for re-inforcement. Both ends are the same.

Attachments

• 828373-Tube end.jpg
    828373-Tube end.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,171
This next picture is of two of the steel tubes next to each other. One is rotated 90 degrees so that we can see what is on each side. All four tubes are identical side for side and end for end. I don't know if any of the holes will be useful or not, or if the reinforcing plates will be a help or hindrance, but free is free /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That large hole measures about 1 and 1/8". The tubes measure 74" long. The plans call for pieces of considerably less length, so if I decide to use the reinforced ends or not, I will have enough to get pieces with or without.

Attachments

• 828387-Tube sides.jpg
    828387-Tube sides.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 844
This last picture for now is of the triangular pieces. They are 12" tall and considerably wider than the 18" that I estimated... almost 30"(jeepers, I was off on that!). The large bushing in the center of the plates appear to be a bit over 1 and 1/4". They may be metric. Not sure. The plates measured out at 1/4" thick.

That's all for now...

Attachments

• 828393-Triangles.jpg
    828393-Triangles.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 876
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #16  
David, This is a picture of the bucket end of the 4X4 with the 1.5 in holes cut out. These can be cut with a plasma cutter, torch, or drilled out. Then you weld in the bushings, keeping good alignment. A good 1 in reamer is good to have. Some use one inch rod for the pins, but I used grade 8 bolts.

Attachments

• 828461-HPIM0044-2.jpg
    828461-HPIM0044-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,014
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #17  
4X4, bucket, and fold up thumb.

Attachments

• 828465-bucket-closed2.JPG
    828465-bucket-closed2.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,079
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #18  
Thumb folded.

Attachments

• 828466-grapple stowed2.JPG
    828466-grapple stowed2.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 841
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #19  
Exploded view of the thumb.

Attachments

• 828468-THUMB.bmp
    53.7 KB · Views: 917
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #20  
JJ,

Did you purchase that thumb in pre-cut parts, or just the plan? I know you said you bought the bucket pre-cut...

What company did you get it from?

Kent