Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2633343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 457
  1. #351
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    25,176
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Well, I measured them and they are 4" bore X 2.25" rod diameter.

    According to the hydraulics calulator at Surplus Center I should get 31,000 pounds of push and 21,000 pounds of pull. I should get 147" per minute of push and 215" per minute of pull. That translates to about 7 seconds to extend 16" at full throttle. I think that will be fine... full boom extension or full dipper curl back in about 7 seconds. That should prevent any sudden movements. Boom retraction and dipper extension will be faster, but less powerful.

    The cylinder ends are tube ends, which are rather big. However, I had some CAT2-3 spacers and they fit perfectly so that I can still use my 1" pins and bushings! What a lucky dog I am!!!

    Now all I need is two joysticks, two valves for the outriggers, one cylinder for the bucket, the bucket and the bucket linkage. And, of course, all the hoses and fittings.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  2. #352
    Elite Member BobRip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,300
    Location
    Powhatan Va.
    Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad
    Well, I measured them and they are 4" bore X 2.25" rod diameter.

    According to the hydraulics calulator at Surplus Center I should get 31,000 pounds of push and 21,000 pounds of pull. I should get 147" per minute of push and 215" per minute of pull. That translates to about 7 seconds to extend 16" at full throttle. I think that will be fine... full boom extension or full dipper curl back in about 7 seconds. That should prevent any sudden movements. Boom retraction and dipper extension will be faster, but less powerful.

    The cylinder ends are tube ends, which are rather big. However, I had some CAT2-3 spacers and they fit perfectly so that I can still use my 1" pins and bushings! What a lucky dog I am!!!

    Now all I need is two joysticks, two valves for the outriggers, one cylinder for the bucket, the bucket and the bucket linkage. And, of course, all the hoses and fittings.
    If everyone will please send Moss the stuff that you can spare that he requested above, I am sure he would appreciate it. After all he has done for this site, we certainly owe it to him.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

  3. #353
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,829
    Location
    Iuka Mississippi USA
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Hes got the bucket here lol. I need to get his address and phone number.

  4. #354
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    25,176
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    I will be sending you a PM later this week. Thanks again!

    I picked up some cat 3 top link ends that I am going to use on the rod ends instead of the tube type ends. That's because the entire unit is not perfectly square and the tubes will bind. I did the same thing for the swing cylinders and they work fine.

    By the way, the cylinders are a 25" stroke! They may be too long!!!! If they are, they will make a decent log splitter. As I recall, the 16" stroke cylinders with clevis ends that the plans call for are about 31" end to end. These are only 32" end to end. So even though they are about the same length, they may have too much movement. I will find out later this week when it dries out. It has rained for several days and is too damp to do any arc welding in the driveway.


    Running totals:
    Time = 44 hrs.
    Approximate Cost = $550
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  5. #355
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    25,176
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad
    I will be sending you a PM later this week. Thanks again!

    By the way, the cylinders are a 25" stroke! They may be too long!!!! If they are, they will make a decent log splitter. As I recall, the 16" stroke cylinders with clevis ends that the plans call for are about 31" end to end. These are only 32" end to end. So even though they are about the same length, they may have too much movement. I will find out later this week when it dries out. It has rained for several days and is too damp to do any arc welding in the driveway.
    Well, the big free cylinders are just plain too big. The movement is just way too long. The things only extend 18" and I am at the end of my boom travel. There is still 7" of travel left. If I remember to stop when I get to the end, I would be O.K., but that would never happen. I would end up buckling the boom or the boom mount and destroying the thing. Oh, well... log splitter duty is in order for those bad boys!
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  6. #356
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    25,176
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Thinking about hydraulic valves....

    I'm looking at the Prince sectional valves. I can order them in just about any configuration imaginable and can get joysticks to control any two adjacent spools. I'm thinking of putting the bucket and boom controls on the left joystick and the dipper and thumb on the right joystick and foot controls for left and right swing. The outriggers will have stubby handles and be located between the joysticks.

    They all appear to be just simple, dual action cylinders, so I am thinking about getting simple, dual action valve sections. Anyone see a need for float or regen? I don't think I need it so complicated for regen as it will not be a daily use item and I don't see a need for the time savings and added cost of regen circuitry. I also cannot see a need for a float option for any of the valves. Can anyone see a reason for float?

    Any other thoughts on valving?
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  7. #357
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,829
    Location
    Iuka Mississippi USA
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    MR float on the main boom would be handy for running an compaction wheel on the end of the dipper. uesd to run an old Drott hoe that had float in it for working around rail ways. you used the weight and the stick to control down pressure. when in hard diggin you flipped a switch and you had loads f pressure. The float mainly kept it from pushing itself over backwards when on a bridge or raised ballasted track.

  8. #358
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    25,176
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylortractornut
    MR float on the main boom would be handy for running an compaction wheel on the end of the dipper. uesd to run an old Drott hoe that had float in it for working around rail ways. you used the weight and the stick to control down pressure. when in hard diggin you flipped a switch and you had loads f pressure. The float mainly kept it from pushing itself over backwards when on a bridge or raised ballasted track.
    Thanks. I was trying to think of a situation where it could usefull. The option for float is only a couple bucks more so I will probably get it.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  9. #359
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad
    Thanks. I was trying to think of a situation where it could usefull. The option for float is only a couple bucks more so I will probably get it.
    MR; I installed a float spool for my quick attach plate, so far I have only used it with my snow blade and it makes a big differance when pushing wet heavy snow. I adjust the HT. of the blade with my lift arms then I put the attachment plate in float, then the snow blade will pivot up and down as needed without getting the crabbing up effect. ( when I used to have the lift arms in float)

  10. #360
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    25,176
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

    Hmmm. I set the left/right angle of the blade with the quick attach circuit, the height of my blade with the dump/curl circuit, then put the FEL arms in float.

    Are you saying you put the plow's left/right (quick attach) circuit into float with your new valve? So you now have float on the quick attach circuit and the FEL arms? That sounds interesting. If the plow is free to pivot left/right, how do you keep it from flipping back and forth on you as you turn your steering wheel? Maybe we should start another thread on this, as it sounds interesting.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2633343536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.