Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #361  
MossRoad said:
Hmmm. I set the left/right angle of the blade with the quick attach circuit, the height of my blade with the dump/curl circuit, then put the FEL arms in float.

Are you saying you put the plow's left/right (quick attach) circuit into float with your new valve? So you now have float on the quick attach circuit and the FEL arms? That sounds interesting. If the plow is free to pivot left/right, how do you keep it from flipping back and forth on you as you turn your steering wheel? Maybe we should start another thread on this, as it sounds interesting. :)

MR; I don't have the quick attach hydraulic circuit on the 180 (It's a manual quick attach :D ) All I did was change out the tilt (curl ) cyl. spool with a float spool so now my snow blade will pivot up and down on an uneven surface without having to put the lift arms in float. I just have to remember to pop it out of float when I'm piling up the snow. Any way I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited:
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
Hey, it's a discussion about hydraulics and I am currently in the hydraulic stage of my backhoe build. That makes it completely rellevant! :) Thanks for the explanation. ;)

Picked up three 3x16 cylinders over the weekend for $92.00 a poke. Also spent about two hours sanding, priming and making more brackets from that 1/2" diamond plate.

Running totals:
Time = 46 hrs.
Approximate Cost = $850

Threw another hour at it the other day. Mounted the boom cylinder.

Running totals:
Time = 47 hrs.
Approximate Cost = $850

Attachments

• BHBoomUP.jpg
    BHBoomUP.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 694
  • BHBoomDN.jpg
    BHBoomDN.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 660
In the up position, once the dipper is installed, I am guessing I will be able to lift well over 6'. Probably closer to 7' and still keep the bucket curled up. In the down position, once the dipper is installed, I know it will be able to dig 6' deep. The boom cylinder still has another 4" of travel and that does not include the depth of the bucket, either. So I'm guessing it will be closer to 8' deep. Not bad. Hopefully I can get back on it this weekend and mount the dipper and start working on the outriggers. :rolleyes:

Picked up $80.00 worth of bolts for pins. I should have everything I need now, except the hydraulic valves and hoses.

Still need to fabricate bucket linkage, floor, valve stand and a few other things. On hold for the holidays.... :D

Running totals:
Time = 47 hrs.
Approximate Cost = $930

Ordered three, two spool valves with joysticks from Surplus Center yesterday. Due to arrive in a week or so. I also ordered three power beyond plugs, just in case I need them to power stuff down stream. Total was under $700.00.

Plan is to stack them across the front of the operator on a pedestal. Left and right joysticks will control boom swing, depth, dipper extension and bucket curl. The center joystick will control the left and right outriggers and I will add a manual diverter valve to allow it to control a powered thumb. I don't want to use an electric diverter valve so I don't have to run DC to the attachment.

The reason I chose the valves with joysticks already attached is that assembling a stacked valve, then adding joysticks to it, like the prince valves, turned out to be more expensive to get all the features that the valves I ordered already had.

Now, if it would just stop snowing and raining for a few days at the end of next week, I can get this thing wrapped up and ready for hoses and paint! Hopefully it will be finished by the end of May. :)

Running totals:
Time = 47 hrs.
Approximate Cost = $1600.00

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #368  
Thanks for the update, MR. I was wondering when you'd get back to this -- or if if was going to turn into another "grapple bucket" project... :p :D :D

Did you get straight or angled shafts on the joysticks? Just wondering, as to how the operator position and the mounting of the valves would be considered. It seems that short, straight shafts would be the better alternative for the operator...

My valves with joysticks arrived this week and I was able to mount them today. Here are some pictures. All I need to do now is plumb them, make sure everything works correctly, add the floor, the outrigger pads, a bucket and linkage, then disassemble everything and paint it.

Attachments

• MossRoadBackhoe200.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe200.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 424
  • MossRoadBackhoe201.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe201.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 371
  • MossRoadBackhoe203.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe203.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 365
  • MossRoadBackhoe204.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe204.JPG