Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
pajoube said:
Whats the market for builders? Out here it is still very tight with builders getting 3 to 4 percent more than 200 miles away.
Plants you brought last summer are in full bloom, be sure to let the girls know.
PJ

I'm not sure what they charge, that's why we're going to interview. We have several recommendations for builders that freinds have used and not had to sue to get things finished! :eek: Those builders move up on our list REAL quick. :rolleyes: I was shocked at how many people I know that have had houses built and had to take legal action to get things done. My in-laws got a good, sturdy house... no squeaks, nice, straight lumber, etc... but I could see that the builder cut corners in some details like vapor barriers, electrician and soundproofing. It will be an adventure, for sure. Where's the smiley face that depicts "sick to my stomach with joyfull worry"? Maybe this one... :eek:

Nice to know the plants are blooming. We picked up some geraniums and vegetable plants today to give to my wife tomorrow on mother's day. We are having her family over and I get to cook brunch. I enjoy that. :)

No work on the backhoe this weekend. Hopefully I will start picking up fittings and hoses next week. I'd like to get the swing, boom and outriggers functioning first, make sure all the articulation is correct, make any corrections, and then get the dipper stick and bucket working. I'm surprised how fast it is now coming together. Daughter #1 has a school play next weekend, so it will be a couple weeks before any more visible progress is made. :)

Attached is my hose sheet that lists all the hoses and fittings I should need. I still need to figure out what type of fittings the swing cylinders will take.

Attachments

• MossRoadBackhoeHoseSched.jpg
    MossRoadBackhoeHoseSched.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 369
What's the best way to seal the fittings. I've heard that you should not use teflon tape on hydraulic fittings because if any telfon gets into the system, it will ruin things. Any thoughts?

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #394  
MossRoad said:
What's the best way to seal the fittings. I've heard that you should not use teflon tape on hydraulic fittings because if any telfon gets into the system, it will ruin things. Any thoughts?

Is this true?? I'm glad I read this post today if it is. Tomorrow I get my backhoe manifold back from tool&die shop, minor repair, was considering using teflon tape when I reinstall hoses!!! okay, so, no teflon tape unless I can prove it's okay... thanks MossRoad....tim

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #395  
MossRoad said:

David,

I use Teflon tape on my fittings. Just leave the first couple of threads free.
You could also use Teflon paste, just don't apply to much, and leave the first couple of threads free.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #396  
To ensure you don't get contaminents in the system, I've heard two techniques:

1. Use a "liquid" sealer specially designed for hydraulic fittings instead of the tape. Leave two clean threads at the end of the fitting, so that none of the sealer gets into the system. (see below) Lock-Tite makes some, as do other manufacturers...

2. Use only enough Teflon tape to go around the male fitting 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 times. Place the tape on the male fitting, wrapping it clockwise, but leave TWO threads exposed on the end. This gives you enough thread to start the female fitting on the male fitting without risking it cutting off a sliver that'll get into the system and contaminate it...

EDIT: Duh, JJ beat me to it...

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #397  
MossRoad said:
Attached is my hose sheet that lists all the hoses and fittings I should need. I still need to figure out what type of fittings the swing cylinders will take.

David,

I had to bite the bullet, and ordered the same valves that you have. I still have a stock pile of various valves. According to your chart, you say that SAE8 is 3/4. Is that correct? I thought SAE4 was 1/4, SAE6 was 3/8, and SAE8 was 1/2 , and SAE 12 was 3/4. Those joystick valves are o-ring SAE8. They also say if you use quick disconnects, go one size larger because of the restrictions in the sealing setup. Most of my cylinders take a 3/8 fitting, All my fittings will be JIC-37..

The website and the PDF documentation list the ports as #8SAE (3/4-16). They are the same port size as my hydraulic cylinders. I'll find out for sure some time soon, if I get some time to get down to the hydraulic shop here in town. I have a pretty full plate this week. My daughter is in a school play and several festivities and ceremonies leading up to 8th grad graduation. :)

I think the 3/4 -16 is the thread, not the hose size.

I'm going to use the same quick disconnects that are on my mower and brush hog. I believe the hoses are 1/2 inside.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #400  
J_J said:
David,

I had to bite the bullet, and ordered the same valves that you have. I still have a stock pile of various valves. According to your chart, you say that SAE8 is 3/4. Is that correct? I thought SAE4 was 1/4, SAE6 was 3/8, and SAE8 was 1/2 , and SAE 12 was 3/4. Those joystick valves are o-ring SAE8. They also say if you use quick disconnects, go one size larger because of the restrictions in the sealing setup. Most of my cylinders take a 3/8 fitting, All my fittings will be JIC-37..

This is the fittings that I am planning to use on the valves, which is a JIC-6 to a SAE8 o-ring fitting, which is 3/8 to 1/2 . I think.

Surplus Center Item Detail